Doxycycline In The Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline In The Summer

I was prescribed 100mg/day doxycycline around 3-4 months ago to help keep teen acne under control. I couple it with nightly Retin-A to help my skin replace itself faster. Are there any long-term concerns with this medicine? I’m not sure how long the dermatologist will have me on it, but I have always been hesitant about taking medication and I’m just wondering. I know that it makes me photosensitive and I don’t want to get toasted every time I go outside this summer.

Outside of the potential photosensitivity, I don't have any other significant concerns here. Most people do just fine with doxy.
    IG / YT

Comment

Thanks Dr. Baraki,

Should antibiotic resistance be of any concern as I have taken it since November I believe and will probably be on it for a few more months. Antibiotic resistance has always been a concern of mine.

Comment

Antibiotic resistance is always a possibility when exposing individuals to antibiotics. I will say that doxycycline resistance is not typically of great concern in people who are otherwise healthy, but we still try to use the lowest dose possible for that shortest duration possible to achieve the desired effect.

There are always trade-offs to consider when it comes to medical interventions. The trade-off here is a low risk for certain complications against the benefits of improved control of your acne. If, from your perspective, the risks are unacceptable, you would either need to pursue alternative therapy for your acne or accept that the acne will be less controlled.
        IG / YT

Comment

Brodge - For reducing acne, you might explore the carnivore diet. This site has several people's testimonials about the carnivore fixing their acne

I did the carnivore for a year and it worked well for me.
          Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 05-10-2020, 03:47 PM. Reason: Don't post links to stupid websites.
          Jon Pappas
          Santa Rosa, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Kratos View Post
            Brodge - For reducing acne, you might explore the carnivore diet. This site has several people's testimonials about the carnivore fixing their acne

I did the carnivore for a year and it worked well for me.
            We would strongly disagree with recommending the carnivore diet, as it would be very difficult to meet the current dietary pattern recommendations and adhere to a carnivore diet at the same time. It also has precisely ZERO evidence supporting it for any particular health outcome.

There's also no plausible mechanism for it to improve acne outside of weight loss, which can occur via a number of different diets. Low carb diets do not produce more weight loss or better adherence than any other type of diet. Additionally, acne waxes and wanes over time - making uncontrolled observations by a self-selected group of folks who "saw results" on a website like "MeatRx" questionable at best.

Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
            ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Pathogenesis of acne is currently unknown. Next time I'll cite clinical evidence. This 2007 controlled study is all I found in a brief search. The measure was insulin sensitivity and acne lesion counts https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17616769
              Jon Pappas
              Santa Rosa, CA

Comment

Pathogenesis of acne is currently unknown.
                This is not exactly true. While there are certain gray areas, there are several established pathogenic factors involved in the development of acne (follicular hyperkeratinization, sebum production, P. acnes infection/colonization and associated inflammation).

Next time I'll cite clinical evidence. This 2007 controlled study is all I found in a brief search. The measure was insulin sensitivity and acne lesion counts https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17616769
                What is your interpretation / assessment of this trial and its applicability to the current discussion?
                IG / YT

Comment

Pathogenesis of acne is currently unknown. Next time I'll cite clinical evidence. This 2007 controlled study is all I found in a brief search. The measure was insulin sensitivity and acne lesion counts https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17616769
                  Also, changes in insulin sensitivity have relatively little to do with carbohydrate content of a diet.
                  Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
                  ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
                  X