X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marginal health benefit of continuously increasing weights

hello,

maybe this is a silly question but:

if my ultimate aim is to be healthy and sprightly into old age, do i need to continuously increase my physical strength and weights until i get my squat to a very big number?

could i not just do regular cardio and maintain strength at an adequate constant level rather than continuously increase weights?

in other words, is there not a steady state in strength with respect to health and longevity / is the marginal health benefit of taking my squat from 120 to 150kg worth the hassle?

We discussed this a bit in our podcast back in December, Episode 162 (linked below).

We believe there's a threshold of strength where you're maximizing health improvements from strength. The same does not appear to be true with cardiorespiratory fitness, e.g. the better your cardio gets, the better your health gets.

You don't need to ever squat with a bar on your back to live a full and complete life, as the squat is just a tool that can be used to get stronger.
    In this week's podcast, Drs. Austin Baraki and Jordan Feigenbaum review the latest scientific papers they've been reading. References: Ruiz et al 2008 on Strength and Mortality- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18595904/ Kevin Hall's paper on The Biggest Loser contestants: https://onlinelibrary.wi…
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Jordan,

wouldn’t even cardio have a cutoff in regards to health? I believe you said before that populations such as ultra marathoners have increased chance of heart arrhythmia problems.

Comment

thank you Jordan, appreciate the response and podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by brettkeefer View Post
          Jordan,

wouldn’t even cardio have a cutoff in regards to health? I believe you said before that populations such as ultra marathoners have increased chance of heart arrhythmia problems.
          There's a dose-dependent relationship with cardiorespiratory fitness and various health outcomes, e.g. reduced risk of heart disease and death from that. The higher cardiorespiratory fitness gets, the lower the risk goes.

Exercise itself increases risk of mostly benign heart arrhythmias. These don't scale with cardiorespiratory fitness.
          Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
          ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
          X