Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macros - How much do they matter at this point?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macros - How much do they matter at this point?

Jordan,
    Thanks for what you do here and have done over the years. I've been reading your words for years and they have helped tremendously.

I find myself in a unique position. After years of training (about a decade), I am at the point where I am content, for the most part, with body comp. I am a male, 5'11, 230 44 years old. I have been as heavy as an untrained 257, a trained 254, and a skinny semi-trained 187 (after losing too much weight). I squat in the 500's, pull in the 600's and press in the 200s. I train 4 days a week with some conditioning built in.

I seem to sit good at 225-230 and am not really interested in losing anymore weight. Waist is under 37" (I haven;t measured it in a while, but my lifting belt is sized at 37 on the center hole. I don't compete, but do plan on trying to keep getting stronger over time.

All that being said, most literature seems to be geared towards those who want to: lose weight, gain muscle, or "recomp, but I just want to maintain while slowly getting stronger.

So, how much do my macros matter at this point? If I am eating well, not being an idiot, and not eating 150 grams of fat and drinking a ton of alcohol, does it matter?

Does 200 grams of protein vs 150 have any sort of real impact?

I guess the bottom line question is: for a person in my situation, how strict do the macros need to be as long as they are somewhat balanced caloricly and from a percentage standpoint over time?

Thank you.

I don't think your macros need to be that strict outside of ~1.6g/kg bodyweight protein per day, 30-35g fiber per day, and hitting your total calories for the day. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
      I don't think your macros need to be that strict outside of ~1.6g/kg bodyweight protein per day, 30-35g fiber per day, and hitting your total calories for the day. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.
      Jordan, thank you so much for the response and direction!

One last question. I recently got my labs back from my annual and my GP wants me to lower my my LDL. His only recommendation was to diet down to 200 from 230 -- which seems extreme. I have upper abs and am not sure I want to take his recommended approach as it seemed more flippant and off the cuff than anything else.

Are there any other suggestions for lowering LDL? I've read mixed things about it and can't seem to get a straight answer on how to best impact that number, and whether or not I should be concerned.

Here are the numbers for reference:
      Cholesterol 198 (down 9 from last year)
      Triglycerides 52 (down 20 from last year)
      HDL 58 (down 6 from last year)
      Calculated LDL CHOL 130 (up 1 from last year)
      Risk Ration (CHOL/HDL) 3.41 (3.29 last year)

My grandfather died from a stroke in his 60's (he was also a prolific smoker). Other than that, no history of CVD in the family, even though both parents have been long term smokers. I don't and never have.

Comment

Typically losing weight, adding fiber, exercising, not smoking, and a dose or two of soy protein per day day can help lower LDL.

I'm not sure I'd be too concerned about your lipid panel in absence of any other info, but getting your LDL <100 would be the goal.
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Ok, good to know.

Fiber: Check. I usually hit 33-40 grams per day
          Exercise: Check: I lift 4 times a week with a fair amount of conditioning. Do a lot of walking for my job and typically chop or haul wood once a week in the fall/winter. Different activities in Spring/Summer
          Not smoking: Check
          Weight loss: I dropped from 250 to 230 over the last year and LDL went up a point LOL, I could handle dropping another 10 slowly, but really don't see 200 as being desirable, unless there was a significant health advantage.

I'll work on the soy protein.

Thanks again Jordan!

Comment

Originally posted by crookedfinger View Post
            Ok, good to know.

Fiber: Check. I usually hit 33-40 grams per day
            Exercise: Check: I lift 4 times a week with a fair amount of conditioning. Do a lot of walking for my job and typically chop or haul wood once a week in the fall/winter. Different activities in Spring/Summer
            Not smoking: Check
            Weight loss: I dropped from 250 to 230 over the last year and LDL went up a point LOL, I could handle dropping another 10 slowly, but really don't see 200 as being desirable, unless there was a significant health advantage.

I'll work on the soy protein.

Thanks again Jordan!
            Yea I hear you. My thinking is that there's probably a threshold of adipose tissue that negatively influences lipoprotein levels via complex systems- including adipokine signaling to the liver. I'd probably try another 10lb loss, see if there's any difference after maintaining it for a few weeks and then reassess.

Comment

Working...
            X