Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Loss or Recomp?

Jordan,
    I'm trying to figure out if I should follow the fat loss or recomp guidelines from TBAB for my short term goals.

I'm 30, 6'2" 208 lb, 37.5" waist. I've been barbell training for a year, and have been slowly gaining wait since June 2018, when I was 187 lb. I would certainly like to get my waist down a bit.

My short term goals are to lose weight leading up to a mud run in May. I'm going to take 10 weeks to do that, and will do a 10K training program alongside the lifting days from the endurance template.

My maintenance calories based on the last few monthsare 3000. I've been running The Bridge 3.0 and 12 Week Strength.

Can you give me some guidance on which method to pursue ? And also your suggestion post mud run? Goals would be pretty equal between strength and hypertrophy, and my SBD e1RM right now is 347/277/415.

Thanks!

I would plan on losing some inches off the waist, which I think is best accomplished in this context as a recomp.

I would run The Bridge 3.0 after the mud run- it would be fine
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks! I tried figuring out on my own when one should do a recomp vs fat loss but was having trouble figuring that out. I guess it depends on whether you're over/under the 40"/37" cutoffs?

Can I ask why you suggest The Bridge 3.0 after the race? I was planning on the 4 day Hypertrophy template and was going to start cycling that with the 12 Week Strength template. I was trying to ask what I should do weight management-wise after the race, but I can see I was not very clear in what I was asking. I'm guessing more of a maintenance phase?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by keithf View Post
        Thanks! I tried figuring out on my own when one should do a recomp vs fat loss but was having trouble figuring that out. I guess it depends on whether you're over/under the 40"/37" cutoffs?

Can I ask why you suggest The Bridge 3.0 after the race? I was planning on the 4 day Hypertrophy template and was going to start cycling that with the 12 Week Strength template. I was trying to ask what I should do weight management-wise after the race, but I can see I was not very clear in what I was asking. I'm guessing more of a maintenance phase?

Thanks again.
        Either would be fine, but I think if you're coming off of an endurance block, you may do better with some more strength work before doing the hypertrophy template. Then go to the 12 WS.

To be clear, your waist is >37" and that signifies increased risk of adipose-tissue related health issues. I would try to decrease your waist size, which I expect to happen through training and dietary modification.

If your waist does not go down while more or less maintaining your weight, I would have you lose weight then.
        Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks for the explanations! I'll do your recommendations.

Comment

Working...
          X