Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Going Forward

Hello Jordan,

What you would suggest I do in my situation. I am a 190lb male in his mid 20s, sitting at about 20% bf (estimate) with a 35inch waist measurement. My lifts are currently Bench: 265 x 1@9, Deadlift: 365 x 5 @9, Press: 170 x 1 @9, Squat: 225 x 5 @6. I am currently LPing the squat and deadlift because I am recovering from a recent stress fracture in my foot. In addition, I am also slowly building up to doing conditioning twice a week, one 35 min SS session and one HIIT session.

My goal is to hit the 200/300/400/500 mark this year on the four lifts while keeping my BW under 200lbs and staying under 20% BF. I was planning on doing the Bridge program once I exhaust the LP for the lower lifts and then doing the HLM (already purchased). To get to my goal I understand that I will need to try to gain weight slowly. In my situation, do you think I would benefit from first getting my BW to about 180lbs and then slowly gaining weight from there for the next 6-9months or cycle back and forth by gaining a little weight (12-16 weeks) and then losing a little (for 6-8 weeks). I understand that limiting myself to not going above 20% bf and 200lbs will slow down my progress but for personal I'd rather not do that.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to starting the two programs you and Austin put out.

I would stop doing conditioning until you finish your Squat LP up. I would gain a little bit of weight slowly over the year. I would also stop caring about your body fat percentage. If your waist is good and your appearance is something you're okay with, the % matters little. Right now, you're in development mode and you aren't going to wind up shredded and strong in a year. Let's get strong now, cultivate some mass, then we can work on this lean thing after.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// GainzZz™ Rx /// GainzZz Whey /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Jordan thanks for the fast response.

I do conditioning because I am currently in the military and need to maintain a certain base level of performance and BW for the PFT. Taken that into consideration, would you still suggest that I slowly gain weight until I hit around 200lbs (my BW limit for my height) and then focus on coming back down? The reason why I ask, is because there is a school of thought that says its more optimal to gain weight while staying within a certain bf%.

Comment

If you don't have a PFT in the next 3 months, my reply stands.

You gain more muscle when your body is not prone to getting really fat, but if you're prone to getting really fat it's not going to help you to try and lean out prior to gaining muscle other than you'll just be less fat....
        ///Website /// Instagram /// GainzZz™ Rx /// GainzZz Whey /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
          If you don't have a PFT in the next 3 months, my reply stands.

You gain more muscle when your body is not prone to getting really fat, but if you're prone to getting really fat it's not going to help you to try and lean out prior to gaining muscle other than you'll just be less fat....
          So do you disagree with the claim that a greater % of weight gain will come from fat if you start at a higher BF% to begin with? Say, starting the weight gain at 20% vs at 10%?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim K View Post

So do you disagree with the claim that a greater % of weight gain will come from fat if you start at a higher BF% to begin with? Say, starting the weight gain at 20% vs at 10%?
            Depends on the context. In someone who is very overfat that's probably true- though there is a genetic component there too. For someone who is in the 10-20% range there's probably not a difference until they're way outside their body fat set point, but that probably works opposite of how we think it should when someone is very lean (they'll probably gain more fat initially until getting back to their normal body fat level).

Comment

Working...
            X