Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding body composition.

Hey Jordan,

I was wondering rather or not you could give me some insight on what to do next regarding my nutrition and body composition goals.

First a little information about myself. I'm a male, 26 years old. I'm 5'5 and 180lbs with a waist measurement of 34 inches. I've been using your templates for my training for ~2 years now and have gained quite a bit of strength. I'd say I'm fairly well muscled and my best lifts are (in pounds) a 400 squat, 310 bench, 500 deadlift and a 205 overhead press.

Now for my question. My eventual goal is to gain a fair bit more muscle mass while ending up a bit leaner than I am now. I'd like to be around 190-195 with a fairly low body fat percentage. So is it best to try to lose body fat now and then slowly gain muscle mass or should I keep slowly gaining weight and just try to deal with the fat afterwards?

​​​​​​Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks again if you have any input.
    ​​​​​

Ishmael,

I think I'd probably gain some LBM now at a rate of 1-3lbs per month. I don't know if cutting now would help you get to your goal faster, though if you're wanting to be leaner right now you could do that too.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks for you response, Jordan.

​​​I think I'll follow your advice and keep trying to gain lean body mass a while longer. I'll be using the muscle gain formula you laid out in your To Be A Beast article as my starting point for my macros. If I find I need to adjust up or down would you recommend +/- a few grams of carbs or should I manipulate fats?

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. I would manipulate both carbohydrates and fats
        Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
        X