X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much protein is too much or too little

Hello,

I have 2 concerns

1. I have been wondering how strict I should be with my protein intake. I weigh 155 pounds and I am 5 feet 6 inches and i usually get 160g of protein a day. However some days I tend to eat a lot of protein, by a lot I mean like 270g on some days. I rarely go under 160g and if I do I still ate around 140g for that day. Is it bad to go over 200g for my bodyweight, like are there going to be negative consequences for eating too much protein? ( I go over 200g about 3-5 times a week)

2. I am trying to lose body fat so I go to the gym every morning (fasted) and I leave the gym between 10am and 10:30 am everyday. I intermittent fast so my eating window is from 12pm to 3pm (so a 3 hour eating window) and I get all my protein (160g) in that window and meet my caloric needs for a cut (2000 calories). I know that you guys say that we should get a post workout meal and my question is: Is the gap between 10am and 12pm too long to get the benefits of a post workout meal?

Commel,

Thanks for the post! This is a very common question, one that we have answered a number of times. Nevertheless, let's get to your questions!

1) You don't need to eat anywhere near 270g of protein per day. 120-210g/day would be your range.
    2) That's not an eating strategy we'd recommend. I'd strongly advise eating a diet where you eat 3-5x/day and ~120-210g of protein per day.

Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

• Commel
      Commel commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Dr. Feigenbaum for the information. The reason I intermittent fast is because it is the only way I can control my hunger. Every time I try to eat 3 to 5 times a day I end up eating 6000-15000 calories because I am so hungry all the time. I used to be 270 pounds a year and a half ago and Intermittent fasting has helped me down to 153.3 (weighed myself this morning), it's the only thing that works for me (I should have stated this in the original message). But as for the protein recommendation, thank you.

That's good. Carry on.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
    X