Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it matter what type of macros you eat after a muscle protein synthesis response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it matter what type of macros you eat after a muscle protein synthesis response?

As per your nutrition lecture, 3g of leucine (20-25g of animal protein) will result in a muscle protein synthesis response, and until the refractory period is over (3-5 hours) more protein won't increase that response.

Therefore, purely from a muscle building/recovery standpoint, does it really matter what type of macros you consume after a muscle protein synthesis response? Won't everything else just be used as fuel (or stored) until the refractory period is over?

Thanks,
    Nathan.

Side note:
    My Mum just started the beginner template. I've been helping her run it and have taught her the lifts, she's enjoying it. After listening to Austin's lecture on Sarcopenia I'm hoping to get more of my family resistance training in the future.
    I just wanted to thank you and the crew at Barbell Medicine for the work you do, your content is great and has had a real positive impact on my life.

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the message and I'm glad to hear your mom is training. Very cool

As far as this MPS thing:

1) The refractory period only lasts 2.5-3 hrs, not 3-5 hours. The recommended frequency of eating is every 3-5 hours, however.
    2) It's not that the MPS response won't increase if eating protein within the refractory period, it's that it won't happen at all.
    3) I'm not sure what you mean, as all fuel not directly being used as muscle-building substrate is used or stored as energy.

-Jordan
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Periā„¢ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Cheers for the response, and for the corrections on MPS.

Comment

Working...
      X