4-6 week deficit - Strength III or Hyper II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-6 week deficit - Strength III or Hyper II

I am going to start a relatively aggressive deficit as a mini cut for 4-6 weeks. I am just finishing Strength III (next week is week 13).

i was thinking I would run the first 5 weeks of Hyper II while trying to trim 8-9 lbs (now 5’8”, 195ish, 37”). Would like to get waist around 35” (for me is about 185). My calories will be in the 1800-2000 range, depending on how things progress.

My question - since the first 6 weeks of Strength 3 has a lot of volume, would that be significantly different than Hyper 2? I will add some additional steady state to the recommended GPP to add a bit to the deficit.

Thanks as always. Hoping for my first 500 lbs pull next week.

I think if you're motivated to train the big 3 for strength, you can do so on a calorie deficit and get stronger. If you're wanting a break from the big 3 however, hypertrophy would be the better choice.

Crush that pull, dude!
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks. This 500 has been a long time comin’... I hope I get it!

If I stick with running Strength III again (3rd time, 2nd with bench focus), would you recommend any adjustments other than a bit more LISS or MISS for enhancing the deficit? Also, should I add in a pivot week between week 13 and week 1?

Thanks again!

Comment

If you've been losing weight just fine, I wouldn't add more conditioning in a strength phase.

I think the first week of the program is a low stress/pivot week so, no need to add another one IMO.
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Yeah, that was the thrust of my initial post. I plan to start an aggressive mini-cut. The hope is to trim off a couple of inches (10-ish pounds) in a relatively short time period. Thus, while I always want to get stronger, the focus for this 4-6 weeks is aggressive cutting.

Would I be better served running Strength III and adding more cardio if the weight is not coming off as I hope? Or run Hyper II for this 4-6 weeks and add conditioning as needed to reach the weight/waist goals?

I will be at 1900 calories/day out of the gate - really don't want to go a ton lower than that if it can be avoided.

Thanks again.

Comment

As mentioned above, I don't think adding a lot of conditioning during a strength block is my preferred approach. So, if you were going to add more conditioning....it'd be on the hypertrophy plan.

I wouldn't worry about your calorie intake being too low. If it was, you'd be hemorrhaging weight.

Comment

Thanks. I am not worried that I will melt away. I worry that I will not stay adherent if the calories are too low (may be easier to take a few more weighted walks, etc.). We'll see how it goes. Thank you for your insight.

Comment

Working...
              X