No announcement yet.

Exception to waist size recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exception to waist size recommendation?

Hi Jordan,

I've been under the impression that, in general, a waist size under 40 inches​ is okay. Upon further reading this forum, I found this post

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    While I don't think it's useful to delineate whether or not someone is overweight or obese, I do think it's useful to have some handy cut offs for determining if someone is carrying too much body fat:

1) BMI > 35
    2) WC > 37"​ for caucasian or black male, 34"​ for male of Asian descent
    3) Have obesity-related disease, e.g. high blood pressure, dyslipidemia, type II diabetes, etc.
    4) Bodyfat > 22% as a male
    5) I'm probably forgetting something off the top of my head
    The only criteria I meet of the above is 2), because my waist line is 36.5"​ as an Asian male. My BMI is 26.6 and my bodyfat is about 20% (have never tested above 22% bodyfat using a skinfold caliper test, US navy test [calculated using neck+waist+height+weight], and my bathroom scale).

My question is have you known clients/people whose waistlines exceeded 34"/37", and you didn't see a need for them to lose weight because they just had a disproportionately large waist? Or am I just overthinking it and should lose/maintain weight?

The main reason I ask is that 36.5" is quite a bit more than 34".

My question is have you known clients/people whose waistlines exceeded 34"/37", and you didn't see a need for them to lose weight because they just had a disproportionately large waist? Or am I just overthinking it and should lose/maintain weight?
    Nope, as I don't think that's really a thing.

I do think you should lose weight, yes.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
    X