X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonnny9 View Post
    I did not perform the low body tempos at week 2-6 because I misread the instructions, should I continue the following weeks with the tempo work or go back to square one and start all over again from week 2 with tempo training ? I apologize in advance because I asked this before but was still unsure
    It really depends on your level of symptoms and how you've been tolerating loading. If you've been progressing without issue, then I wouldn't worry about making a lot of changes and keep moving forward. Regarding isometrics on knee extension - typically it is recommended between 30 and 60 degrees of knee flexion for holds. See photo for reference.

Leave a comment:

• Sonnny9
    commented on 's reply
    Oh also , how would I do the leg extension for isometrics , like would I just hold it the position at knees locked out ?

• Sonnny9
    replied
    I did not perform the low body tempos at week 2-6 because I misread the instructions, should I continue the following weeks with the tempo work or go back to square one and start all over again from week 2 with tempo training ? I apologize in advance because I asked this before but was still unsure

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    For phase 2 , do I perform the other exercises with tempos or Just the main bilateral move 1?
    Sonnny9 Lower body exercises are to be at tempo (bilateral and single leg).

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Hi , I made a pretty dumb mistake . Week 2-6 I didn’t perform the tempos and misread the instruction for phase 2. Would you suggest that I start week 7-13 with the tempos or go back to week 2 and start over with the tempo work? Thank you in advance
    Sonnny9 I typically recommend sticking with LISS in the beginning stages. You can utilize any equipment you'd like in order to complete LISS - provided it's tolerable during and after training.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Completely up to you. If you are experiencing side-effects with medication that is interfering with desired life activities, I do recommend checking with your prescribing physician.

• Sonnny9
    replied
    For phase 2 , do I perform the other exercises with tempos or Just the main bilateral move 1?

Leave a comment:

• Sonnny9
    replied
    Hi , I made a pretty dumb mistake . Week 2-6 I didn’t perform the tempos and misread the instruction for phase 2. Would you suggest that I start week 7-13 with the tempos or go back to week 2 and start over with the tempo work? Thank you in advance

Leave a comment:

• goughar
    replied
    Doc - Cardio question as I look to start the template due to patellar tendinitis that has creeped up on me from squatting.

What would you recommend for 2-3 sessions of conditioning work per week? (either anerobic or aerobic) I have past experience with this issue caused by running, I know that is out at least initially.

I attempted rowing, and this seems to exacerbate the condition (during the movement at least). I have access to treadmills, ellipticals, and spin bikes.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• GlobularFluster
    commented on 's reply
    Would you recommend I pursue a consult or should I just buy the template?

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by GlobularFluster View Post
    I am interested in purchasing the knee rehab template, having suffered for many years from mild to moderate knee pain. I have been diagnosed with PFPS, and did benefit from what I understand to have been a conventional PT program. I understand there is a lot of tempo work. I have some health issues that require me to take medication that causes lightheadedness. Tempo squats aggravate this side effect, to quite a greater extent than any other thing I do in the gym. Can I still benefit from the program despite my inability to tempo squat at anything above about a 5 RPE?
    Without a consult and diving deeper into your situation, for PFPS - I'm fine with speeding up the repetitions to a faster tempo or normal pace. Overall, what appears to matter with PFPS is strengthening the surrounding musculature with exercise - which the template will likely accomplish for those dealing with PFPS.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by jrbiii View Post
    I finished running the knee rehab template about a week ago with what seem like decent results.
    Male, age 55, 6'-0", 245 at start, 237 at completion (diet cleanup.)

I had been doing crossfit for a few years before running SSLP followed by a 16 week HLM cycle.

Quad tendon pain in both knees. No patella pain. Main discomfort occurred in seated positions such as driving. Some discomfort climbing/descending stairs.
    Pain at beginning of workouts would decrease to nothing after warming up and getting some weight on the bar.

Post rehab my right knee is 90% pain free and continues to improve. The left knee has improved some but to a much lesser degree.

I'm currently a week into the Bridge 2.0 and doing OK. The knees are still achy afterwards but part of that is probably age.

My plan was to finish the Bridge and run another HLM cycle or maybe the 12-week strength template followed by a repeat of the knee rehab template.
    Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for great template.

Hey jrbiii - thanks for purchasing and trying the template. Sounds like overall the process was helpful for you. I think the plan you've outlined is a good idea. Although you likely don't need to re-run the knee rehab template unless you have a severe increase in symptoms with little to no resolve over time.

Leave a comment:

• GlobularFluster
    replied
    I am interested in purchasing the knee rehab template, having suffered for many years from mild to moderate knee pain. I have been diagnosed with PFPS, and did benefit from what I understand to have been a conventional PT program. I understand there is a lot of tempo work. I have some health issues that require me to take medication that causes lightheadedness. Tempo squats aggravate this side effect, to quite a greater extent than any other thing I do in the gym. Can I still benefit from the program despite my inability to tempo squat at anything above about a 5 RPE?

Leave a comment:

• jrbiii
    replied
    I finished running the knee rehab template about a week ago with what seem like decent results.
    Male, age 55, 6'-0", 245 at start, 237 at completion (diet cleanup.)

I had been doing crossfit for a few years before running SSLP followed by a 16 week HLM cycle.

Quad tendon pain in both knees. No patella pain. Main discomfort occurred in seated positions such as driving. Some discomfort climbing/descending stairs.
    Pain at beginning of workouts would decrease to nothing after warming up and getting some weight on the bar.

Post rehab my right knee is 90% pain free and continues to improve. The left knee has improved some but to a much lesser degree.

I'm currently a week into the Bridge 2.0 and doing OK. The knees are still achy afterwards but part of that is probably age.

My plan was to finish the Bridge and run another HLM cycle or maybe the 12-week strength template followed by a repeat of the knee rehab template.
    Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for great template.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad Wright View Post

Michael Ray
    After SSLP last may I started a 4 day Texas Method split went through November with that. After that I did the main lifts each once a week with some higher rep accessories for hypertrophy which ended in January, and have been doing 4 days a week main lift every day, with 2 to 3 variations of those lifts throughout the week. Example: Squat, rack pulls, incline bench, pin press, with some light ab work.
    I am not using RPE but am using 1 RM percentages on how i feel that day, light days being 60 - 70%, med days 70-80%, and heavy days 80-90%.
    I'm not to familiar with barbell medicine "training technique, performance, and pain perception", but am up to learning.
    Gotcha. I definitely suggest implementing Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) to help guide the path with training.
    RPE is asking yourself the question, on a scale of 0 - 10 how difficult was this set (0 = not difficult at all and 10 being extremely difficult). Another way to think about RPE is Reps in Reserve (RIR). RIR is equivalent to asking yourself, how many more reps could I have completed for this set (0 = 10 more reps, and 10 = no more reps).

The other metric we advocate for is session RPE (sRPE) - which is asking yourself a similar question to RPE but at the end of your session - on a scale of 0 - 10 how difficult/fatiguing was this session (0 = not at all/inactive - 10 = hardest session ever completed).

These guidelines help manipulate loading appropriately over time based on how you are feeling overall rather than chasing any particular percentages/numbers. Often we use both subjective and objective markers. Meaning, hit a top set of 5 reps at RPE 7 (80%). - but the caveat is only strive for 80% or greater based on your RPE rating, in other words RPE is paramount here. This is also what the research is continuously showing regarding injury risk reduction and performance. Check out this talk we did a few months back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V43mSQEjZY8

More to the point for what you are describing - if a person is continuously overloading (high fatigue reported and decline of objective markers) themselves (as you very well may be based on the prior programming selected) then this can be a factor that needs addressing as it relates to pain perception.
    Last edited by Michael Ray; 04-29-2019, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X