X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patorikku View Post
    Hey Michael,

I really only get knee pain when squatting or leg pressing. Is it recommended that I follow the template exactly and only dead lift when instructed in the later phase?
    Hey, difficult to state because the template is designed as a general approach to knee issues attributed to tendinopathies and PFPS. To individualize it would require more details about context and goals. I'd be happy to chat with you via consult to adapt it accordingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Julien.T View Post
      Hello,

If at week 12 i have an increase of symptons should i transition to phase 3 ? Or maybe redo a week of 6's ? Or go back to 10's ?

Thanks for your response.
      Hey - how did you approach this? It depends, but often an acute flare-up doesn't typically make me change a whole lot but depends on how the person is coping and are symptoms regressing with time or do we need to alter variables. I think it would be fine to repeat a week of 6s and see how you respond.

Comment

• Hi, michael. I’m just little confused because you didn’t re-comment to my question. I’ve been waiting for you for about 20 days. I made an instagram account to reach you. I visited this websites everyday to check whether you visited or not. I’ve been looking foward to your comments but now I feel a little bit embarrased. If my question make your feel awkward then, I apologize for that. Or if you just forgot to comment my question, could you answer to it?

Anyway, always appreciate your research of tendinopathy. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Ray View Post

Hey - how did you approach this? It depends, but often an acute flare-up doesn't typically make me change a whole lot but depends on how the person is coping and are symptoms regressing with time or do we need to alter variables. I think it would be fine to repeat a week of 6s and see how you respond.

Hey, thanks for your response. I went back to two weeks of 8's it's much better now, the plan is to do two weeks of 6's after that and transition to phase 3. Should i be pain free or close to that before going in phase 3 or some symptoms are acceptable ?

Comment

• Michael Ray
            Michael Ray commented
            Editing a comment
            Ideally you've had some symptom regressions from what they were when you started phase 1 but having some symptoms in phase 3 wouldn't be overly alarming to me. I'd watch and see how you progress through phase 3 and adjust loading accordingly if symptoms do spike above your tolerance level. Hope that helps.

• Wanted to write out this post to both thank the BBM crew for the excellent template, support and responsiveness as well as to document my own experience which might help someone else who is going through this challenging part of their lifting journey.
          For a bit of context, I am pretty new to lifting (>1 year of experience) and I started on the SSLP and moved to the bridge 1.0, somewhere during the bridge I developed bilateral knee pain just above the knee cap that would get very sensitive if stood/walked for an extended period of time (~Over 15- 30 min) and was always painful when I squatted down to over 90 deg of flexion, but it would go away after I warmed up before lifting initially and later got to the point where it was hurting even after warm up.

The first thing I did was to reduce the load (After reading/listening to the information put out by BBM), but even after reducing to less than half of what I was doing prior, I wasn't seeing any symptom resolution. Next, I modified my exercise selection, i.e. I stopped squatting and replaced it with leg press, but continued deadlifting. I still didn’t get resolution, but I was able to continue training relatively pain free, but symptoms outside the gym persisted.

Finally, I bought the knee rehab template and committed to seeing it through all the way. Here I will describe the process I went through and the changes I made as I went through the template.

Phase 1: I skipped phase 1 since my symptoms weren’t severe enough to where I wasn’t able to complete the bio-feedback test without marked increase in symptoms.
          Phase 2: For the first week of phase 2 I was struggling to find the appropriate weight for the high rep tempo movements, I had little experience in either tempo work or high rep work (overdoing tempo squats during bridge might have been one of the triggers for sensitizing my knees in the first place since I was attempting to do the same weights as my regular comp squat.. duh!..), but after settling at a seemingly VERY LIGHT weight, I found that the session RPEs were too much for me to handle, so I stopped doing the unilateral exercises and was just doing 2 bilateral exercises and the upper body work form another template

For most of the first half of phase 2 I was doing only the two bilateral movements and titrating my weight up to stay at the threshold where I could train without a marked increase in symptoms, I definitely overshot a couple of times and dropped the weight back down, but slowly and surely I brought it back up quite a lot over the 12 weeks. All I can say is tempo work is torturous! But I committed and saw it through and the reps going down with time felt a lot better. Towards the latter part of phase 2 I started to really get symptom relief, knees felt mostly pain free, but not 100%.

During phase 3 I had to continuously caution myself to not up the weight too fast (Overshot again a time or two) but I started to really see symptom resolution and was able to much more intelligently manage the load, it almost felt like my knees felt better when I did load them than the days when I didn’t and I started to really look forward to training and moving, right now, on the last week of the template, I am 99% pain free, doing triples @8.5 and feeling awesome!

Once again, thanks to the BBM team for being the voice of science and reason and answering my many questions on here and keeping me training through all of it! Hope this helps somebody.

Last edited by dkarthik; 11-13-2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Michael Ray
            Michael Ray commented
            Editing a comment
            This.Is.Awesome - thank you for sharing your experience. I find it really great that you felt empowered to alter the template to suite your situation and then progressed accordingly. Outstanding outcome.

• For the unilateral exercises, is it 15 reps on each leg or 15 legs total?

Comment

• Michael Ray
            Michael Ray commented
            Editing a comment
            15 repetitions on each leg = 1 set.

• Hi BBM team,

History/current stats:

Knee pain for ~4-5 years

Training: SS LP for most of this time (some TM messing about etc). LP until injured, injury would semi recover before LP'ing again until re-injury occurred. A 10k "Mud run" in 2018 really aggravated the knee pain. Upon discovering BBM I ran the Bridge 1.0 which helped dramatically with knee pain but overshooting [email protected]'s brought pain back, along with family related layoffs I got to the point where I started the knee rehab template with very low numbers.

Stats:
          Weight: 193lbs
          Waist: 37in

I'm currently on week 8 and the pain is still there but manageable and I pass the feedback test easily. I'm still gaining confidence efficiency in gauging RPE's (part of the issue with overshoot in the Bridge) which I think is helping the correct loading,

My question is regarding where to go next? Would a run on the bridge be beneficial or with the volume accrued in the latter stages of this template be better utilised in another template? My goals are probably aimed more at increasing muscle mass while pushing up my lifts steadily. I guess flipping between hypertrophy and strength programs would be ideal eventually, just looking for guidance what's recommended straight after this template.

I understand my waist measurement is high, would it be worth dropping this during the remaining weeks on the knee rehab and then gain weight (if my waist is ~35in)? Or is dropping weight on this template not ideal?

I've always wanted to compete in a powerlifting competition but my aims have changed to just being able to train as pain free and consistently as possible while gaining some muscle mass. I'd consider a competition if I could get my numbers to be a bit more respectable for my weight/time training.

Previous lifting max's are SQ: 135kg (last [email protected] on Bridge), BP: 115kg (previous to bridge) DL: 190kg [email protected] (two years ago, 185kg [email protected] end of bridge)

Apologies for the lengthy/rambling message.

Thanks,

Comment

• Michael Ray
            Michael Ray commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for purchasing the template. You could really go either way (hypertrophy or strength focused) after the template. Depends on your goals.

Regarding wast measurement - check out this video by Jordan for guidance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuwS7uL2s3I

• Hi, I’m on the second week of the template and I have a couple of questions.
          how long does it take to see results? At best my knee feels the same, if anything it feels slightly worse, I can’t really tell.

also, how long does it usually take to complete the workouts?
          its been taking me nearly 90 minutes to complete just the leg section, it’s around 2 hours if I include the upper body exercise.

ive tried splitting upper and lower up, but that means I’m in the gym 5-6 days a week to get all my volume in and I’m not sure if it’s sustainable, I couldn’t complete all 6 sets of split squats today because I just felt drained, which isn’t like me. The sets all seem to be under the recommended RPE but it’s the volume that’s making it difficult.

Comment

• Originally posted by Booth89 View Post
            Hi, I’m on the second week of the template and I have a couple of questions.
            how long does it take to see results? At best my knee feels the same, if anything it feels slightly worse, I can’t really tell.

also, how long does it usually take to complete the workouts?
            its been taking me nearly 90 minutes to complete just the leg section, it’s around 2 hours if I include the upper body exercise.

ive tried splitting upper and lower up, but that means I’m in the gym 5-6 days a week to get all my volume in and I’m not sure if it’s sustainable, I couldn’t complete all 6 sets of split squats today because I just felt drained, which isn’t like me. The sets all seem to be under the recommended RPE but it’s the volume that’s making it difficult.
            Booth89 Hey - thanks for purchasing the template. Can you provide a bit of background about your situation and what training looked like prior to the template? It's possible the template has you doing more work than prior training history - in that case we would just adjust accordingly to suit your needs and time constraints .Happy to help.

Timeline - it[s difficult to say but typically we expect to see improve work capacity with similar or reducing symptoms over the coming weeks after starting the template. Ideally you aren't noticing worsening symptoms.

Comment

Working...
            X