X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolder
    replied
    Hello,

How do I modify five days of working out into three days of working out in phase two for the 16 week knee rehab template? Also I am thinking of going into a weight loss phase in the second half of the template, thinking of utilizing the rower later on to expend more energy to lose weight, well is that okay? Or would that impede my knee rehab process (if that were the case I would be willing to drop it)?

Anyways sorry it took me time for me buy the template, had to sort out other finances before getting to it.

Thanks,

Bolder

Leave a comment:

• handsomewizard
    replied
    Up to a top set up 195x12 at tempo on high bar without pain during the movment so that is nice. overall daily symptoms are reduced as well. Aching knees from sitting is much reduced as well as things like going up stairs getting out of a chair etc.

still 7-8 weeks to go as well. Things are looking good.

Leave a comment:

• mc1234
    replied
    Hi,

I've been dealing with PFPS for a few months. Due to pain during and after lifting I stopped doing squat like exercises, which I thought were causing the pain. The pain decreased and I don't have many symptoms right now, maybe a 1/10 ache (more uncomfortableness than pain) in daily life but deep knee bending hurts, as well as stuff like a casual game of soccer on an afternoon. I started the template to increase strength in my leg as I understood it'll improve symptoms?

The thing is, I'm super skinny, about 175 lbs at 6'4" (I do rock climbing, please don't bully me ). I've been stuck at novice level lifts for a while, I was at 155/240/285 before I stopped squatting. I figured my plateau was partly due to lack of consistency, but mostly due to lack of weight gain. Would gaining weight increase rate of strength improvement and therefore my symptoms?
    Last edited by mc1234; 01-29-2019, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by Therealredding View Post

Sorry...and the deadlift? Is it performed at tempo as well? The only reason I ask is because I’ve always been under the assumption that deadlifts were for the postural chain so I wouldn’t have thought it would prescribed for knee tendon rehab.
    Yes, deadlifts are at tempo as well. We are regulating total loading to the lower body and increasing time under tension.

Leave a comment:

• Therealredding
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Ray View Post

1. Not sure I follow. Just record the total weight used (if any) for the exercise. A single rep = Left + Right. You should be performing the same total work on each leg.
    2. The frequency is 1 - 2 x / day. If you are doing only bodyweight exercises and not adding an external load (EX: via leg extension or goblet squat hold) then you can perform them 2 x / day. However, if you are using an external load then I'd say no more than once (we should likely add that caveat into the template update - thanks for bringing this up).
    Sorry...and the deadlift? Is it performed at tempo as well? The only reason I ask is because I’ve always been under the assumption that deadlifts were for the postural chain so I wouldn’t have thought it would prescribed for knee tendon rehab.

Leave a comment:

• Therealredding
    commented on 's reply
    Perfect thank you. I’ve been testing out the iso exersiced and as of right now I can maybe do 20sec for each leg for a split squat and 10sec of the Spanish squat so no external loading for me.

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by tnapes96 View Post
    22y/o, 245lbs, 6’, Male

Hello!

I was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter as a kid and have pain in my left patellar tendon ever since. I know it shouldn’t affect me now, but it is the same exact spot. I’m assuming it is some sort of tendinopathy but can’t afford to go to a doctor to have it diagnosed, but the template description fit the bill for me. This pain is something that has affected me for years, to the point where if I ever need to kneel on the ground, I dread doing it. I feel like a part of simply living has been taken away from because of this pain. I know that is something psychological that I must work through, and I also know that there is no “cure-all”, but will this rehab get me to a point where I can live a “normal” life where I don’t have to think about hurting my knee? Will I be able to train (taking appropriate load and intensity into consideration) without having to worry about if my knee is going to hurt the next day? I apologize if these are heavy weighted questions.

Some side questions about how this affects training
    Is it okay to use leg drive in the bench press?
    Is it ok to attempt to lose weight and use this template?
    What kind of conditioning is allowed? I’m assuming LISS is fine, but HIIT on the rower should be avoided? Do you have any suggestions for HIIT if its allowed?

Side note. I was thinking about trying out sumo so this seems like the perfect time to try and practice technique!!!

Thank you for your time!

Travis
    Hey Travis,

As you mentioned OS is self-resolving during initial onset (provided activity is modified accordingly). At this point, you definitely could be dealing with a patellar tendinopathy but it's difficult to state without a consult. I think the knee template could be beneficial for you but I strongly suggest listening to our podcasts on pain and reading through our blogs. Although the exercise will help regulate loading in a controlled manner and progress you back to "normative" resistance training, if you don't address your beliefs about pain and re-conceptualize the meaning of pain, then this may not get you to where you want to be.

Regarding leg drive - this depends on if it makes you very symptomatic during or afterwards. If not, then I'm not too concerned about it. If it does then I recommend switching to non-comp bench or even feet up or Larsen if necessary.

Losing weight and using the template should be fine. I can't think of any issues but Vanessa (our staff RD) would be a better person to email about this ([email protected]).

LISS should be ok (provided volume is kept in check). I don't recommend HIIT right now because it typically involves more dynamic loading of the area.
    Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by graystep View Post
    Hi,

A couple of questions on phase 3 which I will be starting in a couple fo weeks. Given you can choose the exercises and the low bar squat is an option on Day 1 and 3 would you recommend doing your main squat on those two days?

Also, tempos up to now have ensured that the weight on the bar for me has been moving up very slowly. In phase 3 tempos are gone, reps come down each week as intensity goes up. I imagine this could mean weight on the bar increasing alot more quickly. Is that the plan here? I am conscious that my knees flare up as the weight gets very heavy.
    I'd keep variety in for right now and not get too concerned with multiple squat days. Example: One day low bar and another leg press. Then once the template is over and you want to do either a different template/programming, you can begin to layer in additional days of squatting with different focal points. This isn't say you can't low bar squat both days - you can, I'm just not certain it should be a priority right now and this would likely depend on your plans post-template. Happy to discuss more.

To help regulate external loading in phase three, RPE is dropped and is slowly ramped back up week to week. I'd recommend not setting the expectation for yourself that when load gets heavy = symptoms. If you are concerned about this, one alteration you can make is the weeks volume decreases, leave the RPE the same as the prior week.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by Therealredding View Post
    A few questions about using the template for Phase one.

1) For the single leg exercises, there's only one section but so how does that work for tracking work on both legs?
    2) The frequency is 2 x day but there's only one section per day. Should we only track one session a day?

Am I missing something?

Lastly I just wanted to make sure.....are we supposed to do the Deadlift with a 3-0-3 tempo as well?
    1. Not sure I follow. Just record the total weight used (if any) for the exercise. A single rep = Left + Right. You should be performing the same total work on each leg.
    2. The frequency is 1 - 2 x / day. If you are doing only bodyweight exercises and not adding an external load (EX: via leg extension or goblet squat hold) then you can perform them 2 x / day. However, if you are using an external load then I'd say no more than once (we should likely add that caveat into the template update - thanks for bringing this up).

Leave a comment:

• tnapes96
    replied
    22y/o, 245lbs, 6’, Male

Hello!

I was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter as a kid and have pain in my left patellar tendon ever since. I know it shouldn’t affect me now, but it is the same exact spot. I’m assuming it is some sort of tendinopathy but can’t afford to go to a doctor to have it diagnosed, but the template description fit the bill for me. This pain is something that has affected me for years, to the point where if I ever need to kneel on the ground, I dread doing it. I feel like a part of simply living has been taken away from because of this pain. I know that is something psychological that I must work through, and I also know that there is no “cure-all”, but will this rehab get me to a point where I can live a “normal” life where I don’t have to think about hurting my knee? Will I be able to train (taking appropriate load and intensity into consideration) without having to worry about if my knee is going to hurt the next day? I apologize if these are heavy weighted questions.

Some side questions about how this affects training
    Is it okay to use leg drive in the bench press?
    Is it ok to attempt to lose weight and use this template?
    What kind of conditioning is allowed? I’m assuming LISS is fine, but HIIT on the rower should be avoided? Do you have any suggestions for HIIT if its allowed?

Side note. I was thinking about trying out sumo so this seems like the perfect time to try and practice technique!!!

Thank you for your time!

Travis

Leave a comment:

• graystep
    replied
    Hi,

A couple of questions on phase 3 which I will be starting in a couple fo weeks. Given you can choose the exercises and the low bar squat is an option on Day 1 and 3 would you recommend doing your main squat on those two days?

Also, tempos up to now have ensured that the weight on the bar for me has been moving up very slowly. In phase 3 tempos are gone, reps come down each week as intensity goes up. I imagine this could mean weight on the bar increasing alot more quickly. Is that the plan here? I am conscious that my knees flare up as the weight gets very heavy.

Leave a comment:

• Therealredding
    replied
    A few questions about using the template for Phase one.

1) For the single leg exercises, there's only one section but so how does that work for tracking work on both legs?
    2) The frequency is 2 x day but there's only one section per day. Should we only track one session a day?

Am I missing something?

Lastly I just wanted to make sure.....are we supposed to do the Deadlift with a 3-0-3 tempo as well?
    Last edited by Therealredding; 01-23-2019, 09:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jordan Rouse
    commented on 's reply
    Perfect, thank you for the quick response!

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by Jordan Rouse View Post
    Hi,

I just purchased the knee rehab template, thank you so much for putting this together. I have a question to help me understand the process so I can better help my clients and myself later on. In Phase 2 the number of exercise variants is fairly low, with two bilateral and one unilateral movements (aside from the isometrics), which are repeated each day. In contrast, the diversity increases with much more choice in Phase 3. What are the benefits of less movement diversity over more for the main portion of the program? Is it to more accurately track the rehabilitative progress by removing variables?

Thanks again!
    Hey Jordan Rouse, thanks for purchasing the template and for your question. You nailed it with the last sentence of your comment. Phase 2 is meant to maintain tight regulation on loading of the symptomatic area by controlling variability, volume, and intensity in an effort to reach symptomatic improvement while allowing tolerable loading to the area. By phase 3 we expect symptoms to have improved and are more comfortable with variability in training as this would typically resemble "standard" training.

Leave a comment:

• Jordan Rouse
    replied
    Hi,

I just purchased the knee rehab template, thank you so much for putting this together. I have a question to help me understand the process so I can better help my clients and myself later on. In Phase 2 the number of exercise variants is fairly low, with two bilateral and one unilateral movements (aside from the isometrics), which are repeated each day. In contrast, the diversity increases with much more choice in Phase 3. What are the benefits of less movement diversity over more for the main portion of the program? Is it to more accurately track the rehabilitative progress by removing variables?

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X