Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine had his ACL surgically repaired two years ago and went through three or four months of pt after . He has not had any problems or pain since but is reluctant to return to strength training as he is unsure of how to get back into it . Would this be a good template for him. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jaylikessandwiches View Post
      A friend of mine had his ACL surgically repaired two years ago and went through three or four months of pt after . He has not had any problems or pain since but is reluctant to return to strength training as he is unsure of how to get back into it . Would this be a good template for him. thanks
      This would likely help him return to lower body training in a controlled manner. He may benefit from a consult with us to help him implement the template and address any concerns he may have.
      https://www.barbellmedicine.com/consults-and-contact/.

Comment

Just purchased the template and I'm really impressed with the overall layout structure etc.

I have a question on exercise selection. I read that you suggested one bilateral movement be a squat and one a deadlift. Is there any issue with having two squat movements ie highbar + belt squat? I should note I compete in bodybuilding and not any strength sports- if that matters.

Also I'm familiar with every exercise in the lists there except for "Lift offs" I don't see a video for it in the template either.

Finally, must the biofeedback test be a single leg pistol squat? I don't think I could do that to 90 degrees in heeled shoes even when I was pain free haha. Is a bilateral bodyweight squat in olympic lifting shoes at tempo sufficient for this?

Last edited by handsomewizard; 12-25-2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomewizard View Post
          Just purchased the template and I'm really impressed with the overall layout structure etc.

I have a question on exercise selection. I read that you suggested one bilateral movement be a squat and one a deadlift. Is there any issue with having two squat movements ie highbar + belt squat? I should note I compete in bodybuilding and not any strength sports- if that matters.

Also I'm familiar with every exercise in the lists there except for "Lift offs" I don't see a video for it in the template either.

Finally, must the biofeedback test be a single leg pistol squat? I don't think I could do that to 90 degrees in heeled shoes even when I was pain free haha. Is a bilateral bodyweight squat in olympic lifting shoes at tempo sufficient for this?

Hey, thanks for purchasing the template.

There shouldn't be an issue (especially if you are used to that many squatting type movements in a single session - although it could likely be argued perhaps not, but I don't know your background).
          Lift-offs likely depends on which sport you affiliate with. The term will mean something different in weight lifting. For our purposes think of these as rack pulls (which reflecting back on this - we likely should change the terminology). These can be done either in a cage rack and pulling from an elevated height or from blocks. The purpose- if you are struggling to get into the setup to pull from the ground and/or lower to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ray View Post

Hey, thanks for purchasing the template.

There shouldn't be an issue (especially if you are used to that many squatting type movements in a single session - although it could likely be argued perhaps not, but I don't know your background).
            Lift-offs likely depends on which sport you affiliate with. The term will mean something different in weight lifting. For our purposes think of these as rack pulls (which reflecting back on this - we likely should change the terminology). These can be done either in a cage rack and pulling from an elevated height or from blocks. The purpose- if you are struggling to get into the setup to pull from the ground and/or lower to the ground.
            Thank you for the reply

What about the biofeedback test ? Can I hold on to something or should I just keep going to whatever ROM I can achieve and hope that it builds over time?

Comment

Thank you for the reply

What about the biofeedback test ? Can I hold on to something or should I just keep going to whatever ROM I can achieve and hope that it builds over time?
              Ooops, apologies for missing that question. Are you using a decline board or placing a plate under your heel?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ray View Post

Ooops, apologies for missing that question. Are you using a decline board or placing a plate under your heel?
                Plate under the heels thus far (Or just in 3/4 inch oly shoes). I don't have a decline board at either of the gyms I frequent unfortunately.

Comment

Plate under the heels thus far (Or just in 3/4 inch oly shoes). I don't have a decline board at either of the gyms I frequent unfortunately.
                  Make sure you are using a high enough plate (likely a 35# or 45# bumper) to angle the heel well above the toes. This will counterbalance you and allow the ability to more easily get into the recommended range of motion. Ideally, try and go as low as you can while maintaining balance. It's just a load tolerance test for biofeedback to see if you need to adjust loading or not. Lifting shoes alone is not likely sufficient enough of a heel lift.

Comment

Hi Michael,

You linked to this article on lack of evidence for arthroscopy for meniscal tears a few months back (https://thelogicofrehab.com/2018/06/22/the-bees-knees/). Would this knee template be suitable for someone with a meniscal tear? Meniscal tears aren’t listed as one of the indications for using the template.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AndyDublin View Post
                      Hi Michael,

You linked to this article on lack of evidence for arthroscopy for meniscal tears a few months back (https://thelogicofrehab.com/2018/06/22/the-bees-knees/). Would this knee template be suitable for someone with a meniscal tear? Meniscal tears aren’t listed as one of the indications for using the template.

Thanks
                      If someone presented to my clinic with the diagnosis of "meniscus" related knee pain/dysfunction - there are few cases I can think of that I wouldn't apply a very similar approach to with this knee template. I'd likely need a consult to give more individualistic advice on this topic. https://www.barbellmedicine.com/consults-and-contact/.

Comment

If someone has torn their ACL and has chosen not to have surgery, would the knee rehab template be a good choice for them.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesboy5 View Post
                          If someone has torn their ACL and has chosen not to have surgery, would the knee rehab template be a good choice for them.
                          Can you provide details:
                          How old is the person?
                          How'd the ACL tear occur?
                          How long ago?
                          Any other associated injuries to the area?
                          Why has the person decided to forgo reconstruction?
                          What are the person's goals?
                          What's range of motion currently like?
                          Are they weight-bearing?

Ultimately - we'd likely need a consult on this but these questions will get us started.

Comment

Looking to buy the 16 week knee rehab template.

24, male, 5'10", 253lb..., old knee pain (right lower, top of shin bone) and a bit of knee pain in my left leg (same location as my right leg). I think I may patella tendinopathy

I have had an on and off (or rather persisting) knee injury stemming from April 2017 (it happened during when I was squatting 365lb for a set of 3, which the pain started, but as soon I gotten into doing a back-off set of 8 with 265lb, I then had excruciating pain in my right knee). My knees haven't the same since.

I have always squatted high bar, then in the later months of 2017 and whole of 2018 I tried doing low bar squats, but still had that lingering knee pain (at the same time I get a bit of elbow pain out of it). It's not as worse as before however...

Anyways, the big question is am I still eligible to do the 16 week knee rehab program? I don't think it's as worse as before, but however when I work up to 365lb+ on squats the knee pain kind of comes back. Also, I don't have much knee pain when deadlifting, if I were to do program would I still be able to deadlift heavy? The only ever knee pain I get comes from squatting with big loads seemingly.

Would there be a shorter way for me to condense the 16 weeks, because I don't think its as worse as before? However, I'm willing to do the full 16 week knee rehab template, if that isn't the case.

Another question I would like to ask if bench singles are often programmed in the 16 week knee rehab template? I need to use the bench press as motivator, since squats are down...

Thanks,

Bolder

Comment

Originally posted by Bolder View Post
                              Looking to buy the 16 week knee rehab template.

24, male, 5'10", 253lb..., old knee pain (right lower, top of shin bone) and a bit of knee pain in my left leg (same location as my right leg). I think I may patella tendinopathy

I have had an on and off (or rather persisting) knee injury stemming from April 2017 (it happened during when I was squatting 365lb for a set of 3, which the pain started, but as soon I gotten into doing a back-off set of 8 with 265lb, I then had excruciating pain in my right knee). My knees haven't the same since.

I have always squatted high bar, then in the later months of 2017 and whole of 2018 I tried doing low bar squats, but still had that lingering knee pain (at the same time I get a bit of elbow pain out of it). It's not as worse as before however...

Anyways, the big question is am I still eligible to do the 16 week knee rehab program? I don't think it's as worse as before, but however when I work up to 365lb+ on squats the knee pain kind of comes back. Also, I don't have much knee pain when deadlifting, if I were to do program would I still be able to deadlift heavy? The only ever knee pain I get comes from squatting with big loads seemingly.

Would there be a shorter way for me to condense the 16 weeks, because I don't think its as worse as before? However, I'm willing to do the full 16 week knee rehab template, if that isn't the case.

Another question I would like to ask if bench singles are often programmed in the 16 week knee rehab template? I need to use the bench press as motivator, since squats are down...

Thanks,

Bolder
                              Hey Bolder,

Thanks for the questions. Yes, based on the information you've provided the knee template does sound appropriate for you.

Regarding deadilft - the template programs out all lower body movements/sets/reps/RPE for the next 16 weeks and I highly advise sticking to the template to help manage loading to the area. I don't recommend shortening the template either; most especially for tendinopathies. The premise here isn't how much weight can I lift, but rather can I return to baseline prior to the onset of symptoms. If you can make this premise shift in your approach to the template then it will be a lot easier to embrace the process.

Regarding bench press - we've slotted in upper body days with tracking so you can plug into the slot whatever you plan on doing.
                              Keep us posted.

Comment

Just finished week 1.

Knees usually feel a little achy but get better during the workout. Then they're a again a bit achy for the next 24 hours or so. When should I do the extra isometric days? (Day 2 and 4)

I was able to do the biofeedback test before the sessions at depth and tempo. I was getting pain near the bottom of the position but it did not worsen my symptoms pain stayed steady. I should only revert to isometrics on the main lifting days if/when the feedback test increases pain after the 2 sets. Correct?

Also have you personally tried this template? RPE 10 sets of 15 on squats and deadlifts at 303 tempo are god awful. Been cursing your names all week.

Comment

Working...
                                X