This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dough View Post
    Hi. I am a 41 year old male. I've done some version of Starting Strength for the past couple of years, and at the beginning of the year I switched to Olympic lifting with a coach. It was very high volume, and it's taken a toll on my knees (in the process of getting in to see someone, but I highly suspect tendinopathy). I'm probably going to get the knee rehab template with the hopes of someday getting back into oly lifting. That said, the template description says that it's not ideal for transition back into oly, and that the phase three structure would be different for such a transition. I'd like to know if there is a way to consult with you to customize phase three for oly lifting. More generally, I also saw the 4-week oly template says that its not for people of advanced age - is that me? I really enjoy the oly lifts and would like to get back into them if there's a smart way to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug
    Dough - I'd be happy to consult with you and guide the path back to weightlifting. I do have plans on releasing an additional template with an altered phase 3 for weightlifters but this will take some time and not anywhere near ready for release.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/consults-and-contact/

Comment

Dr. Ray,

My background- 25, Male, 210lbs. Did starting strength the first time years ago in college and followed that with TM & 5/3/1. At the end of 2015 I started to have bad patellar tendonitis pain. In 2016 I was working long hours and was not very committed to going to the gym, but it seemed like I couldn't get my squat past 315 without having my knee feel terrible. 2017 ish I ran Starting Strength again and continued to have off and on knee pain which would have me in and out of the gym. About a year ago I started wearing knee wraps and have found that they give me enough support to squat mostly pain free (with the occasional flare up here and there), but whenever I try to return to sleeves instead of wraps the pain gets worse.

I recently purchased the template and have a few questions-
      1. In the intro video, I'm pretty sure you say that phase 2 begins with 3 sets of 15, but the spreadsheet is 6 sets of 15. Should the 6th set (RPE 10) be done for 3 sets? Or is it just 6 sets of 15 at the RPEs mentioned.
      2. Should I use wraps or sleeves when I'm in phase 2? Or nothing at all? I would really like to be able to get back to squatting with just the sleeves if possible as I am interested in competing in either raw powerlifting or strengthlifting.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by mikec5 View Post
        Dr. Ray,

My background- 25, Male, 210lbs. Did starting strength the first time years ago in college and followed that with TM & 5/3/1. At the end of 2015 I started to have bad patellar tendonitis pain. In 2016 I was working long hours and was not very committed to going to the gym, but it seemed like I couldn't get my squat past 315 without having my knee feel terrible. 2017 ish I ran Starting Strength again and continued to have off and on knee pain which would have me in and out of the gym. About a year ago I started wearing knee wraps and have found that they give me enough support to squat mostly pain free (with the occasional flare up here and there), but whenever I try to return to sleeves instead of wraps the pain gets worse.

I recently purchased the template and have a few questions-
        1. In the intro video, I'm pretty sure you say that phase 2 begins with 3 sets of 15, but the spreadsheet is 6 sets of 15. Should the 6th set (RPE 10) be done for 3 sets? Or is it just 6 sets of 15 at the RPEs mentioned.
        2. Should I use wraps or sleeves when I'm in phase 2? Or nothing at all? I would really like to be able to get back to squatting with just the sleeves if possible as I am interested in competing in either raw powerlifting or strengthlifting.

Thank you!
        Hey mikec5 -
        Thanks for purchasing the template.
        In regards to your questions:
        1) No, you have 6 sets to hit a top set at RPE 10. You may take less than 6 sets but should not do more than 6; we are trying to control overall loading of the area by limiting sets.
        2) If you are wanting to compete in a federation that doesn't allow wraps then I do recommend transitioning to approved apparel (like knee sleeves) as soon as possible. This will likely take some time to get used to from the sounds of it but with time, you should adapt.

Comment

Hi,
          i have just started the knee rehab program but have bursitis in the left ITB so I can not do split squats. I will be using knee extensions instead as prescribed. However, I was unsure if they are paused knee extensions or traditional knee extensions (I can’t get the videos to work at the moment).
          Any help would be appreciated.
          Thanks

Comment

I just purchased the knee rehab template and have a few questions.
            1. For phase 1 can I do the two exercises every day or should I have a rest day in between ?
            2. Is the rpe on the phases based on pain/ symptoms .
            Thank you , very excited to start the rehab process

Comment

Originally posted by Doneymick View Post
              Hi,
              i have just started the knee rehab program but have bursitis in the left ITB so I can not do split squats. I will be using knee extensions instead as prescribed. However, I was unsure if they are paused knee extensions or traditional knee extensions (I can’t get the videos to work at the moment).
              Any help would be appreciated.
              Thanks
              Doneymick if you are in phase one then it is a held isometric at the end range of knee extension. If you are using it in phase 2 then it is a standard full range of motion knee extension with tempo (3.0.3).

Comment

Originally posted by Sonnny9 View Post
                I just purchased the knee rehab template and have a few questions.
                1. For phase 1 can I do the two exercises every day or should I have a rest day in between ?
                2. Is the rpe on the phases based on pain/ symptoms .
                Thank you , very excited to start the rehab process
                Sonnny9 for phase 1, you can do isometrics every day unless you find that dosage is severely increasing your symptoms. RPE does include your fatigue levels and your symptom levels.

Comment

I've been doing the template for 11 weeks now but the pain in my left knee is not getting any better.Any advice to try something different?Can i start again with different exercises or frequency.I chose leg press,deadlift and leg extension for my exercises.
                  Last edited by zeljko; 04-09-2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zeljko View Post
                    I've been doing the template for 11 weeks now but the pain in my left knee is not getting any better.Any advice to try something different?Can i start again with different exercises or frequency.I chose leg press,deadlift and leg extension for my exercises.
                    Apologies if you've explained this elsewhere and I'm not remembering. Can you give some background on your situation? Onset, symptoms, provocative movements, etc?

Comment

• Hi, I am 48 years old and have been lifting for a couple of years. I have no ACL in my left knee and the one in my right knee also has a significant tear. I do know that I do have some arthritis in the left knee based on an MRI I had about 5 years ago. Using linear progression I got up to 325 lbs for 3 sets of 5 in the squat and 405 lbs in the DL. About 12 weeks ago my left knee began giving me significant problems after refereeing a number of high school basketball games in a short period of time. I had some swelling and did not have a full range of motion in the knee. It was really bothering me for about 6-8 weeks. Even when it started to feel better if I was on my feet for a significant amount of time I would experience the symptoms again. I was not able to squat or DL during this time except for a few light box squats when it felt okay. I am back to squatting 3 times a week now but am experiencing pain in that left knee on a regular basis. I am wondering if you think that the knee template would be beneficial for me? I wanted to get you opinion before purchasing. Thank you very much for your time.

Comment

• Hi! I'm looking for the usual "is this template useful for me" advice

Male, 40 years old, started lifting in February of 2018. I did the SS NLP first, then the bridge, then the hypertrophy template. I missed a few weeks to vacation and injury (I love to strain my intercostal muscles apparently). I've been in a long layoff from December -> March and I'm starting back now with a mini LP to get my sea legs back.

I was a runner in my late 20s and into my very early 30s. Did a few marathons, several half marathons and a bunch of 10ks. Never any knee pain from running. Only injury was the occasional shin splint.

My knee pain - a few years ago I noticed pain on the inside of my right knee, below the kneecap. On the top picture here (http://thepainsource.com/ultrasound-...sa-injections/) it's in the pes anserine bursa region, or slightly higher. It's never kept me up at night. It's a dull ache pain vs. a sharp pain. It does come & go. The only thing that seems to aggravate it consistently is running. I mostly run on the road/sidewalk and haven't compared it to offroad running. Elliptical is usually fine, treadmill is often bad. Usually (not always) it'll hurt when running. Sometimes it just hurts when I'm done. I'm pretty sure I'll also hurt if I've been standing around a lot, but my memory is fuzzy on that.

During my year of weightlifting, my knee never caused me any problems. My 1RM squat and DL were 280 and 315 respectively if that matters at all (I forget what I started my NLP at, but it was low). No pain during the lifts.

I have a desk job and with my commute,I worry I don't move enough. I also bend my knees and tuck my feet under my chair compulsively when I sit. I've tried working on my posture, which I think is actually helping somewhat. Could the pain be from being mostly sedentary for several years?

When I walk upstairs, my knee sounds "juicy" The left knee seems fine & quiet.

I saw an orthopedist who moved my leg all around and took xrays. She didn't find anything weird. She suggested I take glucosamine/chondroitin and turmeric. I did, but only because they were very cheap and I was willing to try something simple like that. They did not seem to help.

Recently, I decided that I would push through this and run more and see if it was some pain associated with a few years of inactivity and if it abated as I moved more. I've found that wearing a $20 knee sleeve from the local sporting goods store seems to help. I've found that if I walk a bit before I start running, it's not as bad. So maybe warmups help?

So: is there any value to doing a specific knee template like this? If my 9-10 months of lifting last year didn't hurt my knee during lifting, but also didn't help it with regard to running & sitting around, would this template be any different? Right now, i'm chalking it up to getting older and am assuming this is the new normal and will only be concerned again if it starts to get worse.

I considered seeing a physical therapist, but if she was going to give me exercises to do I thought I might as well ask you guys to give me exercises to do

Comment

• Originally posted by wattersja View Post
                          Hi, I am 48 years old and have been lifting for a couple of years. I have no ACL in my left knee and the one in my right knee also has a significant tear. I do know that I do have some arthritis in the left knee based on an MRI I had about 5 years ago. Using linear progression I got up to 325 lbs for 3 sets of 5 in the squat and 405 lbs in the DL. About 12 weeks ago my left knee began giving me significant problems after refereeing a number of high school basketball games in a short period of time. I had some swelling and did not have a full range of motion in the knee. It was really bothering me for about 6-8 weeks. Even when it started to feel better if I was on my feet for a significant amount of time I would experience the symptoms again. I was not able to squat or DL during this time except for a few light box squats when it felt okay. I am back to squatting 3 times a week now but am experiencing pain in that left knee on a regular basis. I am wondering if you think that the knee template would be beneficial for me? I wanted to get you opinion before purchasing. Thank you very much for your time.
                          Hey wattersja ,

Thanks for the question. The template potentially can be helpful for your situation. I'd recommend a consult with us to help guide the process. https://www.barbellmedicine.com/consults-and-contact/

Comment

• Originally posted by otherdave View Post
                            Hi! I'm looking for the usual "is this template useful for me" advice

Male, 40 years old, started lifting in February of 2018. I did the SS NLP first, then the bridge, then the hypertrophy template. I missed a few weeks to vacation and injury (I love to strain my intercostal muscles apparently). I've been in a long layoff from December -> March and I'm starting back now with a mini LP to get my sea legs back.

I was a runner in my late 20s and into my very early 30s. Did a few marathons, several half marathons and a bunch of 10ks. Never any knee pain from running. Only injury was the occasional shin splint.

My knee pain - a few years ago I noticed pain on the inside of my right knee, below the kneecap. On the top picture here (http://thepainsource.com/ultrasound-...sa-injections/) it's in the pes anserine bursa region, or slightly higher. It's never kept me up at night. It's a dull ache pain vs. a sharp pain. It does come & go. The only thing that seems to aggravate it consistently is running. I mostly run on the road/sidewalk and haven't compared it to offroad running. Elliptical is usually fine, treadmill is often bad. Usually (not always) it'll hurt when running. Sometimes it just hurts when I'm done. I'm pretty sure I'll also hurt if I've been standing around a lot, but my memory is fuzzy on that.

During my year of weightlifting, my knee never caused me any problems. My 1RM squat and DL were 280 and 315 respectively if that matters at all (I forget what I started my NLP at, but it was low). No pain during the lifts.

I have a desk job and with my commute,I worry I don't move enough. I also bend my knees and tuck my feet under my chair compulsively when I sit. I've tried working on my posture, which I think is actually helping somewhat. Could the pain be from being mostly sedentary for several years?

When I walk upstairs, my knee sounds "juicy" The left knee seems fine & quiet.

I saw an orthopedist who moved my leg all around and took xrays. She didn't find anything weird. She suggested I take glucosamine/chondroitin and turmeric. I did, but only because they were very cheap and I was willing to try something simple like that. They did not seem to help.

Recently, I decided that I would push through this and run more and see if it was some pain associated with a few years of inactivity and if it abated as I moved more. I've found that wearing a $20 knee sleeve from the local sporting goods store seems to help. I've found that if I walk a bit before I start running, it's not as bad. So maybe warmups help?

So: is there any value to doing a specific knee template like this? If my 9-10 months of lifting last year didn't hurt my knee during lifting, but also didn't help it with regard to running & sitting around, would this template be any different? Right now, i'm chalking it up to getting older and am assuming this is the new normal and will only be concerned again if it starts to get worse.

I considered seeing a physical therapist, but if she was going to give me exercises to do I thought I might as well ask you guys to give me exercises to do
                            Thanks for the questions. I think the knee rehab template would be beneficial for you. However, it sounds like you've been given some not so great advice over the years (which happens) so I'd recommend a consult with us so we can address some of this and get a game plan together specific to your provocative exercise (running).

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Ray View Post

Apologies if you've explained this elsewhere and I'm not remembering. Can you give some background on your situation? Onset, symptoms, provocative movements, etc?
                              About 6 months ago during a warm up for squats with an empty bar i felt sharp burning pain in my left knee,above the patella.At that time i was doing the SSLP without much success and i was basically staling for about a month.After i felt sharp pain in my knee i stopped doing squats and went over to the leg press to try and do some very light training but the pain was getting worse so i stopped and went home.I had pain for the next couple of days when walking or driving my car.I tried to get back to training with light loads and higher reps and did that for 3 weeks but had little improvements so i decided to rest for 2 weeks and then started the Knee rehab template.Did the template for 11 weeks but did not have any improvements.Currently training only the upper body.Provocative movements are basically everything i tried from squats,leg press and leg extensions.I tried some 3 seconds tempo goblet squats with a 5 kg plate for 4 sets of 10 reps and i feel like i can tolerate them but RPE is very low.

Comment

• Originally posted by zeljko View Post

About 6 months ago during a warm up for squats with an empty bar i felt sharp burning pain in my left knee,above the patella.At that time i was doing the SSLP without much success and i was basically staling for about a month.After i felt sharp pain in my knee i stopped doing squats and went over to the leg press to try and do some very light training but the pain was getting worse so i stopped and went home.I had pain for the next couple of days when walking or driving my car.I tried to get back to training with light loads and higher reps and did that for 3 weeks but had little improvements so i decided to rest for 2 weeks and then started the Knee rehab template.Did the template for 11 weeks but did not have any improvements.Currently training only the upper body.Provocative movements are basically everything i tried from squats,leg press and leg extensions.I tried some 3 seconds tempo goblet squats with a 5 kg plate for 4 sets of 10 reps and i feel like i can tolerate them but RPE is very low.
                                Gotcha. I recommend getting a consult so this can be appropriately addressed since you've not had any improvement.

Comment

Working...
                                X