• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam man
    replied
    Hi Michael
    Hope you are well.

I am most likely going to book in a consultation with the team, but thought I'd ask here too. I recently dislocated my patella in one knee, and was diagnosed with a shallow and dysplastic trochlear from an MRI scan.

I was essentially wondering whether this template is suitable for a 'mechanical' issue such as this - according to the scan all of my connective tissues and ligaments appear intact apart from minor injury to the patellar tendon which is apparently normal following a dislocation.

Thanks very much in advance for any insights you can provide!

Leave a comment:

• Kharris996
    replied
    Hello Doctors,

I am an avid cyclist that trains in powerlifting and weightlifting.

I was diagnosed with patellar tendiniopathy and it’s been really hard to get back to cycling. Anyway you guys can help with that? I know the knee template is not designed to get you back to endurance.

or should I do a consult?

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Dave
    replied
    By the way, I've had other injuries that I've treated with barbell medicine protocol, and had really speedy results. Especially after tweaks.

Thanks for all the resources you lot have offered up over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Dave
    replied
    Hello Michael, thanks for your prompt response.

I will certainly invest in a consultation at some point, especially should I end up having to return to phase 2, I'll be 50 in a couple of years and I really need to get that squat and deadlift into a more sensible place.

I'd have weighed in for a consult before now but been self employed, covid, yadda yadda yadda...

Nice and gentle curls it is then.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Hey, thanks for the questions. It is difficult to give detailed insight without talking with you further in a consultation. However, based on the information here, I'd be fine with implementing leg curls to tolerance, especially if you are noticing a strength deficit side to side.

• Jungle Dave
    replied
    Hi, I've been treating a tendonosis in the Pes Anserine area for... well, more than a couple of years.

Been using the knee rehab template for most of this time.

I've squatted, deadlifted, and for unilateral movement, leg extension.

It's taken me this much time to get to phase three.

I recently found if I did leg curls, I recruited the area in question far more than the above movements. And yes, it's painful.

Would it be advisable to apply the protocol to this movement in order to desensitise and strengthen the problematic area, would this be a more effective choice of exercise than say, the leg extension or the squat, which gives me no pain during the actual movement? (these patterns can still hurt afterwards especially if RPE 8 or more- and I've been pretty inefficient at this process by anyone's standards, feels like I'm missing something obvious)

Leave a comment:

• kampingal
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Michael, I completed the consult form. Please let me know when you get a chance to review. Thanks!

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Kathy! Thanks for the questions. I think a consultation would likely be more beneficial in this scenario. If you are interested, please complete our intake paperwork here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ilUWA/viewform

• kampingal
    replied
    Dr. Michael,

I am a S&C coach and KB instructor but I have been mostly in the office for the past 2 years due to low back. Since I learned of BBM I have been able to slowly get back to lifting more than light weight. Making great progress for the first time in many years. Thank you all for all the content you put out!!!

Wondering if the knee template will give me options to keep working on increasing my deadlift strength significantly? The deadlift does not seem to bother my knee. I'm assuming that a knee rehab program would not have anything that would be contraindicated for my low back.

Background: Knee is a long time issue. Had a scope on it aout 8 years ago to drain swelling and "clean" it up. No official diagnosis. "Avoid squatting and running and this should last you about 5 years." That's all I got from surgeon. My knee did do quite well for many years. I competed in PL and had a max squat of around 200 and DL around 270 (49 yr old female, 5'5"150 lbs) but I had some serious setbacks with low back about 5 years ago and never fully came back from repeated bouts of trying to rehab it. My last workout I lifted 105# for sets of 10 sumo DL. Still modest but such a huge accomplishment for me. When I used bulgarian squats last month, no knee issues at all. When I added bilateral and just a day of very little interval running my knee started screaming, mostly at night when trying to sleep. It's a deep aching sort of pain, sometimes sharp pain in the kneecap going up or downhill. I tried nixing the run but it still hurts after squatting.

Thanks! Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, happy to help. Please follow this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12hL...6n3IBidgw/edit

• domitar
    replied
    Thanks !

Consult is a good ideas .As I need some input on programming trying to balance strength training, cardio improvement, return to sport (and then actual play) and maintenance from old injuries all on a protein restricted diet that’s not helping my recovery.

do you still have an intake form as my (medical) history is pretty messy.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the questions. Glad to hear the template has been helpful.

1) I think it's fine to layer in the activity you want to train via HIIT, but starting at a lower RPE is reasonable.
    2) I usually follow a return to sport approach of fundamentals -> practice -> competition. Introduce components of the sport (fundamentals) first then practicing the sport and finally competition. A consultation would help us work through this a bit more.
    3) I'm fine with keeping a unilateral movement in the mix for phase 3.

No problem!

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Hey, thanks for the questions. We'd need a consultation to give specific advice. Generally speaking I would remove high volume and high intensity sport specific activities (e.g., basketball). Then as symptoms began resolving, slowly layer back in fundamentals of the sport (e.g., jumping, running) before transition to practice and then finally competition.

Bursitis - yes, the template would be appropriate for such a scenario.

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    1) Correct, the approach is the same.
    3) Yes, we will make an announcement.

Of course, happy to help.

• wiigelec
    commented on 's reply
    Sound advice, thanks
Working...
X