X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by RVR View Post
    First two links are broken for me, as well as the YouTube reference on the first page of this thread. Anyone else have that issue?
    The first link (low back pain template) is working. I updated the ebook link. I'll need to get videos for cobra and sphinx to re-upload soon.

Leave a comment:

• RVR
    replied
    First two links are broken for me, as well as the YouTube reference on the first page of this thread. Anyone else have that issue?

Leave a comment:

• Truant19
    replied
    Hello, I am 33 Male, 6'4", 180lbs. For the last 4 years I have been training mostly for cycling and triathlon, with a decently heavy training load of anywhere from 6 to 15 hours per week, depending on the phase of training. This last year I started to have some lower back pain (mostly in the glutes and lower back) and I am hoping to focus on strength training for the next 4 months to improve my resiliency, endurance performance and body comp. The back pain is moderate, usually the worst just after waking up or in the evenings after training, but I can still run/bike/swim and preform body weight squats with no pain. (Though things like standing up after sitting, bending at the waist like a good morning, cause pain)

I am contemplating the endurance template or the back pain rehab template, but I am not sure which is the better fit. Before switching to cycling and triathlon, I did some powerlifting and at my peak could SBD ~350/225/360lbs, though I am obviously much much weaker now after having very minimal strength training for the last 4 years. I still think I have pretty decent technique and movement patterns.
    Last edited by Truant19; 09-07-2021, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Hey, sorry to hear about your situation. I think we can likely give insight and management recommendations but we need time and space to talk with you. We offer remote consultations. If you are interested, please complete our intake paperwork here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ilUWA/viewform

• Dodofisher
    replied
    Firstly hello - I was referred to this website from Reddit - had a lower back question and wondering the thoughts of you smart guys.
    Herniated L5-S1 in September 2020 - I (39yr old Male -USA - retired athlete) was basically disabled and 6-8 weeks later I had surgery.

Went great, given the green light at month 3 to get on with my life

Went to the beach and overdid it at month 4 and since then I have had permanent numbness in the originally effected leg (going to the outer toes which feel so numb most of the time), and when I sit I now get pins and needles in my right foot (which prior to the re-injury I never had any issues with) so I cant sit in a chair- no more dates, no flights, no just chilling at the beach sitting down

Ended up having to change jobs to one where I can work from home at a stand up desk. Its been 6-7month since I reinjured myself and I would say I have gotten slightly worse but I do not have the sciatic pain which thank god I dont.

Had a second MRI and it shows a very slight herniation (nothing near like it was last time) to the side

Wondering what my options are - as a recently retired athlete I feel my 'Core" isnt weak and havent really found PT to helpful, I tried a personal PT session with David Goggians Stretch guy and he was super nice but that made everything worse haha and now im dealing with a spasming back going on for 1 week.

If someone sees this and might be able to provide some insight and ideas thatyould be great, my next plan is to go the injection route and see what that does.

Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read and possibly respond

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by GiannisKa View Post

Ok I see. But it also has RPE 5 and RPE 6. How does this compare with RPE 4?
    Is there a way to calculate this?
    The calculator on the template only goes to RPE 6.5 (lowest).
    For example, we have 12 reps @ RPE 4, 12 reps @ RPE 5, 12 reps @ RPE 6. What's the difference between these sets?
    Thanks!
    I wouldn't really worry about using the calculator in the beginning stages of the template. RPE is inclusive of load, fatigue/difficulty, and symptoms. Just go in each session and see what you can get done. It's fine to couple RPE with RIR in this scenario as well, so an RPE 4 would mean 6 reps in reserve. It's feasible weight will go up from an RPE 4 set to an RPE 6 but this shouldn't be expected every session or week. I don't think how much load can be lifted is a necessary focal point for the template but rather one factor in the process of finding tolerable training to complete while symptoms regress. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Michael Ray; 06-14-2021, 09:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GiannisKa
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Ray View Post

Hey, thanks for the questions. Think of RPE 4 as ridiculously easy and not pushing into symptoms too much. Remember RPE includes difficulty, fatigue, and symptoms. In this context, symptoms may be the rate limiting factor and that's ok. I'm not sure on switching to kg, perhaps email support.

Shoulder issues - the template would lack specificity to your shoulder but you can try the recommendations in the pain in training article. We will also have a shoulder rehab template out soon.
    Ok I see. But it also has RPE 5 and RPE 6. How does this compare with RPE 4?
    Is there a way to calculate this?
    The calculator on the template only goes to RPE 6.5 (lowest).
    For example, we have 12 reps @ RPE 4, 12 reps @ RPE 5, 12 reps @ RPE 6. What's the difference between these sets?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by GiannisKa View Post
    Hello docs, I'd like to ask a question about the first 3 weeks RPE. It says 15 reps RPE 4 and I don't have a clue how to calculate this hahaha. Any insight.
    Also, can I change the metric to kg?
    Another thing to mention. I observed that the template follows the same principles with the article pain in training. I have some shoulder issues. Could the programming for bench and OP be beneficial for my situation?
    Thanks!
    Hey, thanks for the questions. Think of RPE 4 as ridiculously easy and not pushing into symptoms too much. Remember RPE includes difficulty, fatigue, and symptoms. In this context, symptoms may be the rate limiting factor and that's ok. I'm not sure on switching to kg, perhaps email support.

Shoulder issues - the template would lack specificity to your shoulder but you can try the recommendations in the pain in training article. We will also have a shoulder rehab template out soon.

Leave a comment:

• GiannisKa
    replied
    Hello docs, I'd like to ask a question about the first 3 weeks RPE. It says 15 reps RPE 4 and I don't have a clue how to calculate this hahaha. Any insight.
    Also, can I change the metric to kg?
    Another thing to mention. I observed that the template follows the same principles with the article pain in training. I have some shoulder issues. Could the programming for bench and OP be beneficial for my situation?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Laughlin View Post
    Michael Ray

My apologies if this has been covered but would "Low Back Pain" in the context of this template include sacral/SI area pain?

Thanks.
    No worries. Yes, low back pain is broadly defined as experiencing pain below 12th ribs to below gluteal folds with or without leg symptoms.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Laughlin
    replied
    Michael Ray

My apologies if this has been covered but would "Low Back Pain" in the context of this template include sacral/SI area pain?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Just given what you are reporting here, I recommend getting a consultation - either with us remotely or with a local clinician. At minimal we can help address some of your concerns while providing more individualized recommendations for management to help with this process. If you'd like a consultation with us, please complete our intake paperwork: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ilUWA/viewform

• Michael Ray
    commented on 's reply
    fbc91 - the template is probably not the best option based on your goals you've mentioned here.

• hulk
    replied
    Hi,

I hurt my back a month ago during DL. I tried to manage on my own for the past weeks and things got better up to this week until some symptoms returned during squatting. I decided to buy the Low Back Pain template to have a clearer plan and did Day 1 yesterday/saturday:

HHBS: 15x20kg, x30, x40, x50 (1RM before @190kg);
    comp. BP as usual (doesn’t give me any problems);
    SDL (with a closer stance than usual): 15x20kg, x40, x50, x60 (1RM before @217.5kg);
    then 3x15 situps and superman

No symptoms during or immediately afterwards – as the day went on some symptoms started to creep up though;
    Woke up today/sunday with severe pain (almost as painful as initial back tweak). I can move around, bend over etc., it’s just very painful. I actually went for a 30-minute bike ride – felt fine during, as soon as I got off, pain like before.

Pain is mostly situated deep in my lower back. From time to time I also feel some shooting/stinging feeling in my left quad (at one point I felt it going further down towards my shin/peroneal muscles), sometimes I feel it more towards my right glute. I’ve had back tweaks (last one was 5 years ago) and pain before, but the severity and duration of the pain and shooting/stinging sensations in my lower extremities have me very worried and frustrated.
    I’m unsure what to expect and whether or not to see a doctor/physio. This situation also has me feeling rather depressed and demotivated to squat and deadlift.

Any advice or encouragement would greatly be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• fbc91
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for the response.

Can the template be done without doing squats and deadlifts? I'm only interested in back strengthening (not w/ deads or squats) and pain mitigation and hopefully elimination.
Working...
X