Lowering RPE by 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering RPE by 1

Almost 10 months in managing some radicular pain down the leg, believed to be from what an MRI found to be a herniated disc at L5. Things are finally going well on a more regular basis - trying to focus on the wins workout to workout and week to week to build more confidence.

Now, while i do plan on in the next 6-8 weeks or so to begin gradually returning to "normal" training - I did want to explore and try the idea that has been mentioned a few times of just lowering the RPE of each exercise by 1. Some clarification however: Does this mean lowering across the entire exercise or just the top set?

Ie: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] becomes:
    A) [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
    B) [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] drop the highest RPE by 1.

Also, this injury has in a way given me an opportunity to explore exercises I never really programmed for myself - and in a way I would like to capitalize on that. Not that i was only doing the main lifts, but for instance I had never sumo deadlifted outside of trying it once the odd time. On that note: i notice that my hips don't really open up enough even with feet pointed outwards really far and my knees get in the way of the barbell on the ascent - any tips on avoiding this? For now because the weight is so light i have just been using dumbells but that is not sustainable (only go up to 150 and get real tall).

Fortunately enough, while the injury occurred initially during a squat, it is still a lift I am very comfortable with - the deadlift (and OHP - even single arm dumbell) seem to bring on the worse symptoms so I am trying to be a little more creative in working around this as opposed to avoidance.

Hey man I remember reading your old post and just read through it again. Are you able to tolerate sitting and standing better yet?

Comment

• azeemqwerty
      azeemqwerty commented
      Editing a comment
      I am! Thank you. Almost completely symptom free as long as I am staying within tolerable loading and movements. No longer grunting like an old man getting in and out of the car as often.

Austin's latest article absolutely nails it. I wish I had that 9 months ago - but better late than never. Anyone going through something similar, cannot recommend reading that article enough. And then re-reading it. Then re-reading it backwards if need be. Reading Embrace the Process a few times, and then reading them both again. Beyond helpful - find that entry point to keep training. Accept that things are more complicated and movements that "should" feel fine may not be for now and youll get back to it.
Working...
X