Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chronic hamstring pulls playing baseball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic hamstring pulls playing baseball.

Hi and thanks for taking my question.

I'm 47 m 6'1 220 barbell trained with decent strength with all lifts above 2/3/4/5. I strength train 2-4 x during the week and some type of HITT sled, bike , sprints etc 2x per week.

I play baseball each Sunday from now until Oct. I can't seem to stay away from hamstring strains no matter how I prep. I've usually do some type of dynamic pregame warmup and sprints . I've gone with and without stretching and doesn't seem to have any impact. One of my HITT training during the week is sprints on thursdays and I don't train at all on game days.

Any suggestions to prevent these strains or is this just the nature of trying to play baseball like I'm still 21?

Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by ChrisZ View Post
    Hi and thanks for taking my question.

I'm 47 m 6'1 220 barbell trained with decent strength with all lifts above 2/3/4/5. I strength train 2-4 x during the week and some type of HITT sled, bike , sprints etc 2x per week.

I play baseball each Sunday from now until Oct. I can't seem to stay away from hamstring strains no matter how I prep. I've usually do some type of dynamic pregame warmup and sprints . I've gone with and without stretching and doesn't seem to have any impact. One of my HITT training during the week is sprints on thursdays and I don't train at all on game days.

Any suggestions to prevent these strains or is this just the nature of trying to play baseball like I'm still 21?

Thanks for your time.
    Hey ChrisZ - great question. Injuries are multifactorial but in this context i usually advocate for doing sport specific work (in this case sprinting and change of direction) several weeks leading up to those Sunday games, just to help get used to the stressor. Additionally, you can dose in nordic hamstring curls to tolerance throughout the year (whether you are playing baseball or not). I usually start folks out on those 1 - 2 x / week for 3 sets of 4 - 6 repetitions or adjust to tolerance. As time goes on, I also tend to layer in other eccentric focused hamstring exercises like Romanian Deadlifts. Finally, the low hanging fruit is sleep and adjusting dosage of activity accordingly. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thank you Michael. This should be quite helpful. I didn't think of the change of direction drills as that type of training would best replicate the explosiveness required in baseball.

One thought. I'm the only guy I know of that seriously barbell strength trains and also seem to have more leg related muscle strains. Is there a correlation with carrying more muscle mass and strains?

Thanks again. I will implement your protocol.

Comment

• Michael Ray
        Michael Ray commented
        Editing a comment
        Not to my knowledge. Usually the data demonstrates strength (which is a related function of muscle mass on some level) is protective, interestingly the bulk of this data is based on hamstring strains.

There is not. Strains do not have any correlation with cross sectional area. It is more likely that you did not really regain the same level of strength prior to returning to high speed activities. I would give this a read.
      https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...pain-part-iiI/

Comment

Working...
      X