Reoccurring lower back pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reoccurring lower back pain

2 of my last 3 training cycles now have been cut short by severe lower back pain. At the bottom of the squat , a sharp pain comes and then I’m pretty jacked up for a week. In both instances it happened when I got below 5s( I start my cycles at sets of 10 and work down to heavy triples , typically a 10-11 week cycle)

I don’t just lift , I run, do Brazilian jiu jitsu , biking and hiking etc. so I would assume my training stress is usually pretty high. I’m not really sure how to move on from here. I don’t suffer any other injuries ever , my lower back seems to be the chink the armor. I understand the process directly after an injury. Don’t stay sedentary, try to work your way up to a movement that you can do with no pain etc. but what do you do if it’s a reoccurring issue ? Do I just accept
    that my lower back can’t handle heavy weight I I wanna continue to do other activities ? Do I try to change my main squat from back squat to front squat ?

Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by brettkeefer View Post
    2 of my last 3 training cycles now have been cut short by severe lower back pain. At the bottom of the squat , a sharp pain comes and then I’m pretty jacked up for a week. In both instances it happened when I got below 5s( I start my cycles at sets of 10 and work down to heavy triples , typically a 10-11 week cycle)

I don’t just lift , I run, do Brazilian jiu jitsu , biking and hiking etc. so I would assume my training stress is usually pretty high. I’m not really sure how to move on from here. I don’t suffer any other injuries ever , my lower back seems to be the chink the armor. I understand the process directly after an injury. Don’t stay sedentary, try to work your way up to a movement that you can do with no pain etc. but what do you do if it’s a reoccurring issue ? Do I just accept
    that my lower back can’t handle heavy weight I I wanna continue to do other activities ? Do I try to change my main squat from back squat to front squat ?

Any help is appreciated.
    Hey - thanks for the questions. Sorry to hear about your recurring low back pain. Often there is a prosperity in these scenarios to think that if we can just find that perfect dosage of activity then we will never have these experiences. Such an expectation isn't pragmatic nor realistic, which is why we advocate for auto-regulation and a willingness to change programming as needed if these experiences linger. With that said, sounds like you have a grasp on our approach to these situations with finding tolerable dosage of activity. We need an individual consultation with you to make specific recommendations. Hang in there, I get these situations can be frustrating to deal with.

Comment

Working...
    X