Training tips for osteoarthritis of the cmc joint?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulkenobi
    • Oct 2019

Training tips for osteoarthritis of the cmc joint?

Hey guys,

I've searched and didn't really find anything on this. I'm trying to find tips to have less pain in my CMC joint while training.

I typically feel it the most during squats and Bench when i have my hands wrapped around the bar and wrists bent, slightly or a lot. I've tried different grips and hand placement for the squat and have noticed a slight bit of relief but it's more complicated to change things for the bench.

The pain is pretty sever while training and typically tapers off a few hours after I'm done. To put it on perspective, it feels kind someone hit that joint with a hammer or stabbed it with an ice pick.

Also, i know y'all don't typically pimp product, is there a splint that would help during training. I know i could get one to wear around but im curious if one to help WHILE training.
  • fbc91
    • Nov 2020

have you tried a thumbless grip? I have this as well, but I'm not lifting heavy enough to aggravate it.

Comment

• Bak2ThaBasix
      • Aug 2018

Not really a “fix” and personal experience but I use wrist wraps when I get that pain. Won’t fix it but might make it feel better during the lift.

Comment

• Bak2ThaBasix
        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by fbc91
        have you tried a thumbless grip? I have this as well, but I'm not lifting heavy enough to aggravate it.
        I agree with this, my squat feels much better on my hands when I’m thumbless

Comment

• Hulkenobi
          • Oct 2019

I did a thumbless grip yesterday on the squat and it helped. I just have to get used to heavy weight and not having the best control while it's on my back.

Comment

• Michael Ray
            • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Hulkenobi
            Hey guys,

I've searched and didn't really find anything on this. I'm trying to find tips to have less pain in my CMC joint while training.

I typically feel it the most during squats and Bench when i have my hands wrapped around the bar and wrists bent, slightly or a lot. I've tried different grips and hand placement for the squat and have noticed a slight bit of relief but it's more complicated to change things for the bench.

The pain is pretty sever while training and typically tapers off a few hours after I'm done. To put it on perspective, it feels kind someone hit that joint with a hammer or stabbed it with an ice pick.

Also, i know y'all don't typically pimp product, is there a splint that would help during training. I know i could get one to wear around but im curious if one to help WHILE training.
            Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't typically recommend splints in these scenarios. Rather tolerable loading to the affected area makes the most sense. I do often dose in resistance exercises specific to the thumb - which can include something like this or a captain of crush.

Comment

• Hulkenobi
              • Oct 2019

For the most part it isn't the load that hurts but the position of the thumb and wrist. With a thumb around grip and wrists bent it makes the pain sever, like there's something in the joint causing the pain because of its position.

I actually have both of those products but the pain persists.

I understand the stance on over diagnosed symptoms but i trust my doctor and he had it xrayed and there are signs of arthritis. If there isn't anything that can really be done about it because it's just what happens when we age then cool, I'll figure out how to train around it. I was just wondering if there was anything out there that could just help with the pain at the time of training.

Thanks for the repose though.

Comment

Working...