• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    DanM

• DanM
    replied
    Dr. Baraki,

Thanks for your response. It was helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Austin Baraki

• Austin Baraki
    replied
    I would emphasize to you:

1) Ensuring the bar is in the correct position on your back.

2) Ensuring the knees move forward and are set in place within by the 1/3 of the descent.

3) Most importantly: I do NOT want you focusing on maintaining the barbell directly over the mid-foot, but rather that the system (including you plus barbell) remains perfectly balanced on the mid-foot throughout the squat. In other words, pay attention to where the pressure is on your mid-foot, and make sure it stays there.

If you have further questions about your squat, I'd suggest posting a form check video to the BBM FB group or to our unmoderated forums below.

Leave a comment:

• DanM

• DanM
    started a topic squat back angle guidelines

squat back angle guidelines

Hello,

In the course of my training, bending over at the correct angle on the squat is something that has perplexed me frequently. I think this is largely because I am unsure what the guidelines for back angle are.

I learned to from squat from reading Starting Strength, and in that book and elsewhere he emphasizes leaning over. Presumably he means that as a corrective for people who don't bend over enough ( "point your nipples at the floor", etc.). For me, however, instructions like this are not particularly helpful because I train alone and don't have a coach to tell when I am doing it right.

What I would like to understand is-

1. What are the criteria for a correct back angle?

2. I assume that maintaining the bar over midfoot would be a primary concern, but is there more to consider than just that? Doesn't your knee movement make a difference?

Again, I am searching for guidelines so that I can self-assess whether my back angle is correct.
Working...
X