This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bridge 2.0 questions: fatigues, GPP, percentage guidelines

Hey Jordan, Austin and the rest of the Barbell Medicine crew.

Huge fan of everything you've achieved. I'm a reformed long-distance runner, I've completed the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression and am excited to have recently started the Bridge 2.0. Can't wait to see where it takes me!

I'd be very grateful if you could answer a few questions I have on the template, I'd hate to get halfway through the programme only to discover I've not-been-doing-the-programme.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 04-26-2018, 07:56 PM.

Originally posted by Skallagrímsson View Post
    FATIGUES

- do fatigues follow all competition and supplemental lifts?
    No. Fatigue sets are seen on supplemental lifts only whereas repeat sets are seen on the comp lifts.

- "For the fatigues, we have onle (sic) one prescription, "load drops". Rep drops are seen weeks 1-3 and load drops are seen 4-6". To me, these sentences appear to be contradictory? Is a rep drop classed as a load drop? Also, there's no mention of rep drops in the examples that follow nor on the Bridge V2.0 tab.
    They are not contradictory.

Fatigues are "drop sets" or sets where the weight on the bar goes down.

Rep drops are repeats. Most of the programming uses repeats outside of the supplemental lifts using the *.

The calculator tab auto-populates fatigue reps at 4-6%, but I'm not sure what to do with this information. Also, there is a fatigue score in the "log" tabs, but again, I'm not sure what to do with this.
    Since we're not basing back off volume on fatigue, you're don't need to use those fatigue stops. I wouldn't do anything with the fatigue number at this time.

Does the weight during the [email protected] sets remain consistent? Do the fatigues follow the last set?
    Yes- these are sets across. There are no "fatigue" sets.

Repeat 5 @ 9 x 2 sets

What does "Repeat" denote?
    Repeat the set of 5 @ 9 for a second set of 5.

Example 3,
    4 reps @ 7, 4 reps @ 8, 4 reps @ 9 x 3 sets*
    *Take 3- 5% off bar after @ 9 set to keep RPE @ 9.

Does this mean the reps @9 in the previous / subsequent weeks are all at the same weight?
    This means do 4 @ 9, then take 3-5% of weight off the bar to maintain ~RPE 9 for the next 2 sets. These are fatigue sets.

8 @ 7, 8 @ 8. Repeat 8 @ 8 x 2 more sets

Is "x 2 more sets" different to "x 2 sets"?
    It's meant to connote doing an additional 2 sets (3 total of 8 @ 8)

the competition lifts calls for:
    Single @ 90-93%, Volume @ 70-75%

Let's work through an example based on a one rep max of 100kgs. This would result in a single of 90-93kgs, and volume between 70-75kgs, subject to your performance on the day.
    70-75kgs is below an RPE of 6.5 on the calculator; but, the Volume/RPE states the 3 sets of 5 should be completed at an RPE of 8?
    Stick to the calculated load. The idea is that with the repeated intraset fatigue the RPE will tend up.

As there is no single/volume adjustment for the supplemental lifts, it appears that the supplementals are completed at a higher intensity than the competition lifts?
    Higher relative intensity, yes.

GPP

Weeks 1-4 call for 1xGPP day per week, however the upper back and ab work states 2x/wk. In the first four weeks (and in an ideal world) where would you fit it in? Monday and Friday are pretty full if you're doing the bis and tris bonus, could tack it to Wednesday's workout but would require two consecutive days of GPP if you're primary GPP day is Thursday.
    It doesn't matter when you do them, but I'd prefer to do them on off days (the upper back and ab work) and I'd do arm work at the end of a regular workout.
    LOG

The instructions state "For DB work, use the total weight (combined)." Where should this be logged? I've created my own table, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
    Thanks in advance!
    There is no dumbbell work in this particular template, but if there were, that's how we'd have you track it.

The press doesn't appear to be tracked or graphed. I've entered it as a supplemental bench movement, is that the intention?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes exactly.

I'm aware of the shortcomings of spreadsheets and am working on trying to fix them.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
      the competition lifts calls for:
      Single @ 90-93%, Volume @ 70-75%

Let's work through an example based on a one rep max of 100kgs. This would result in a single of 90-93kgs, and volume between 70-75kgs, subject to your performance on the day.
      70-75kgs is below an RPE of 6.5 on the calculator; but, the Volume/RPE states the 3 sets of 5 should be completed at an RPE of 8?

Stick to the calculated load. The idea is that with the repeated intraset fatigue the RPE will tend up.
      So calculated load in this case is 70-75kg? it is better to start little bit conservative?

Comment

Fantastic, thank you Jordan

Comment

Working...
        X