number of sets VS total reps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number of sets VS total reps

I have been watching your podcasts on programming and things are starting to make a lot more sense to me (I’m beginning to understand why in the last couple of months I have been making more progress than the 8 months prior ).

Your recommendations on volume and intensity got me thinking: is there data about a possible difference in efficacy (as far as hypertrophy goes) between a classical sets x reps scheme workout, and a workout in which you choose the number of total reps and the intensity (eg 40 reps at 75% of your 1RM) and you do amrap always leaving a couple in the tank, taking a break when needed until all the reps are completed?
    These looks like an easy way to progressively add volume to your workouts (add 5 reps total next week... if the more strength-oriented part of your training suggests you are getting stronger, calculate your new 1RM and use 75% of that number as your new weight... then start again adding reps progressively).

The more useful parameter/predictor is the number of sets you perform in which you achieve sufficient motor unit recruitment -- which requires some amount of fatigue to be generated.

In practical terms, this means that the number of "challenging" sets you do.
    IG / YT

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Baraki View Post
      The more useful parameter/predictor is the number of sets you perform in which you achieve sufficient motor unit recruitment -- which requires some amount of fatigue to be generated.

So would you suggest choosing an above-70% intensity, do as many reps as possible for n sets (I don't mean going to failure), and increasing the number of sets over time to maximize hypertrophy?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Baraki View Post

So would you suggest choosing an above-70% intensity, do as many reps as possible for n sets (I don't mean going to failure), and increasing the number of sets over time to maximize hypertrophy?

Comment

Accidentally posted twice
          Last edited by Huffman_Tree; 05-02-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Would that mean that hypertrophy-wise a set of [email protected] (intensity = 83.7%) is somewhat equal to a set of [email protected] (intensity = 70.7%) even though the volume (as defined in The Bridge as number of reps x sets) in the latter set is twice as much? Assuming the trainee is equally sensitive to both rep schemes at that point in time.

Comment

When you say “challenging” do you have a minimum RPE threshold in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by TheChemist View Post

I think it is difficult to sign off on this method without you being more specific to your parameters and context.
                Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
                ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Huffman_Tree View Post
                  Would that mean that hypertrophy-wise a set of [email protected] (intensity = 83.7%) is somewhat equal to a set of [email protected] (intensity = 70.7%) even though the volume (as defined in The Bridge as number of reps x sets) in the latter set is twice as much? Assuming the trainee is equally sensitive to both rep schemes at that point in time.
                  No. I would expect the 10 @ 9 to produce more hypertrophy - though looking at single sets and subsequent responses are not terribly useful IMO.
                  ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Tim K View Post
                    When you say “challenging” do you have a minimum RPE threshold in mind?
                    Not at all.

For hypertrophy, if the volume is sufficient then relative intensity can go pretty low- off the RPE charts even.

Comment

Working...
                    X