X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt

When to introduce belt into workouts?
    What is the sign tells you that you need to start using weightlifting belt? Missing a rep?

We generally suggest you start using a belt by week 4 of your linear progression. There's no sign, it's just a great piece of equipment to have.

Comment

Do you recommend using same belt for both squat and deadlift? What is your suggestion on the width and thickness? How about 4" wide 10mm thick?

Comment

For most of us, one belt is just fine. A 4" 10mm belt is a great start. I think that most people do well with that belt once they get used to it. I do tend to wear my belt a TAD higher for my DL than my squat.

(and before anyone says-I have a short torso, I need a smaller belt, I will just offer that I am a 5'4" tall woman with a short torso and I use a 4in belt. It is very possible for it to work very well and it can even touch your ribs or hip bone and still be fine.)

Comment

Is there a guideline on how to decide whether you need 3" or 4" belt?

Comment

Is it ok to not use a belt? My working weight on squats right now is 275LBS. I’m not using a belt currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatih View Post
              Not really. I'd get a 4 inch belt. Do you have some reason to think you'd not be able to use one?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostman View Post
                Is it ok to not use a belt? My working weight on squats right now is 275LBS. I’m not using a belt currently.
                We'd certainly suggest you get one and start using it. A belt gives you something to push against when you lift with the valsalva. It's a very helpful tool if you plan to lift and train.

Comment

Thanks for this Leah. I've been using a 3" belt for DLs but today I tried using my 4" squat belt and it felt better (I also put it slightly higher than for squats). I remember trying it before and it was too uncomfortable, but maybe I was fatter or the belt wasn't broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatih View Post
                    I'm 6ft tall and I got a 3" belt for deadlifts and I know I needed it for sure. I have flared bottom ribs, so I can't just place it over the bottom ribs like most people could and the extra size digs UNDER my rib. On the other hand my 5ft2" wife has used a 4" belt just fine. So your rib anthropometry might dictate this a bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X