This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal time of day to train

I learned years ago that the physiologic best times of day to train are 1st: lunchtime 2nd: after work (5:00) last: early AM (first thing). BUT the time when most people/patients will actually accomplish a workout and have it become a habit is early in the morning, because there isn't ususally anything that will interfere with the schedule other than wake-up time. And when it comes to doctor-prescribed therapeutic exercises (I prescribe leg lift isometrics all the time for patellofemoral pain) the main thing is: whatever time is fine, as long as they do it. First of all, has workout time-of-day ever been studied, or is this just some guy's opinion? Second, what do you recommend, and why?

My whole adult life I have always exercised first thing in the morning, before eating. Back in High School when I swam twice a day, I had to get up extra early just to get some food in my belly and let is sit for an hour before swim workout or else I'd bonk. These days I get up and train at 5:00 AM on an empty stomach (other than water), and have my protein shake as soon as I finish. I don't feel hungry or headachy at all. Maybe it's because I've always done it that way.

I know Jordan has talked about some data suggesting optimal performance approximately 8 hours after waking, though I haven't seen it myself.

For routine training purposes, I think it comes down to personal preference and practicality more than anything else.
    IG / YT

Comment

Working...
    X