Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying 7 Week GPP Hypertrophy for BJJ

Quick Background
    6’3, 220, male, 34 years old. Strength training for about 1.5 years. Started with the LP, then The Bridge, then alternated the 12 Week Strength program and the 7 Week GPP Hypertrophy program. Best lifts:

Squat 405
    Deadlift 495
    Bench Press 265
    Press 190

My focus the last 1.5 years was to just work on my 1RM strength but I’ve recently decided to throw myself into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as I enjoy it a lot more as a sport than strength training. That said, I enjoy strength training, have learned a lot, and would like to apply it to my BJJ training.

At the Seattle seminar, Jordan listed the following criteria for someone in MMA:
    • Conditioning is very important and should get more time
    • No regular exposure to singles (may even be detrimental)
    • Reps in the 6, 7, 8+ range
    • Train twice a week
    • Work periods more specific to round length
    • Practice your sport a lot
    The 7 Week GPP Hypertrophy plan appears to check a lot of those boxes: rep ranges are all 6-8 (plus myoreps). The singles @ RPE 8 are for the competition lifts and only for 3 of the 7 weeks (that seems to be “not regular” but I could be wrong).

My question is how effective it would be to try to compress this down to 2 strength training days per week? Something along these lines (using the same rep/set schemes from the 7 Week GPP program):

Day 1
    C-S
    C-B
    S-D1 (RDL/SLDL)
    S-B4 (bench variant, myoreps)

Day 2
    C-D
    C-P
    S-B1 (incline bench/press variant)
    S-D2 (squat variant, myoreps)

GPP/Conditioning days would be HIIT + upper back work (rows, chinups) + ab work.

I realize the answer to this is most likely “Try it and see what happens.” I’ve not seen anything specific for a two-day strength program, though, so I’m just curious if this looks doable or if there are major red flags here.

For what it’s worth, all the information on RPE, session RPE, pain, and acute on chronic workload ratio have been tremendously helpful as I’ve transitioned my focus to BJJ. As the BJJ training load has increased, the set RPE and session RPE have worked really well at helping me train intelligently without overdoing it. Ramping up the BJJ training load slowly has worked and so far I’ve managed to avoid feeling crushed, smoked, wrecked, trashed, or have much pain at all (other than a broken toe but that was a freak accident). So, thanks!

Yep, I think it's reasonable to try. Hard to predict how well you'll tolerate / respond to it as an individual from the standpoint of condensing that workload into two sessions, so you'll just have to adjust it along the way to your tolerance.

For what it’s worth, all the information on RPE, session RPE, pain, and acute on chronic workload ratio have been tremendously helpful as I’ve transitioned my focus to BJJ. As the BJJ training load has increased, the set RPE and session RPE have worked really well at helping me train intelligently without overdoing it. Ramping up the BJJ training load slowly has worked and so far I’ve managed to avoid feeling crushed, smoked, wrecked, trashed, or have much pain at all (other than a broken toe but that was a freak accident). So, thanks!
    That's awesome!
    IG / YT

Comment

Working...
    X