Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high rep hypertrophy planning

Grüßi,

in your last discussion with Nuckols, you discussed hypertrophy training with higher reps (20 rep max). And was wondering about a few aspects of my training planning for my company run,next year. I wanted to focus on running after my current 7 wk )
    hypertrophy plan ends, and I was thinking about how to change my training volume. so question:

is 1 set of 20 reps the same as 4 sets of 5 reps in terms of volume?
    Since I will likely lift twice a week (1 day less) I was hoping to keep my volume higher for the comp lifts. For example do more myo rep sets. My focus will be running but in those two days I want to keep my volume as high as possible and I thought that sets at 14-16 reps would achieve that goal.

Lg

MC,

1 set of 20 reps and 4 sets of 5 reps are both 20 reps total, yes.

I'm not sure what your question is about running and your comp lift volume. Can you clarify?
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

indeed, my question was not clear. :/

1) is there a difference in hypertrophy/muscle gain outcomes between a workout with high reps and one with low reps if the total volume and rpe are the same? ex: 3 sets of 6 @ rpe 8 vs 1 set of 18 reps @ rpe 8? (I realize the most optimal is the 6/8/14-16 rep variety of the hypertrophy template)

2) since I will only train barbells twice a week once running training begins, can I do high rep sets (like myoreps) of the competition lifts to maintain volume and not lose too much of the strength I gained from the 3 day hypertrophy plan (which im currently rerunning)?

Comment

Originally posted by MC Wizzel View Post
        indeed, my question was not clear. :/

1) is there a difference in hypertrophy/muscle gain outcomes between a workout with high reps and one with low reps if the total volume and rpe are the same? ex: 3 sets of 6 @ rpe 8 vs 1 set of 18 reps @ rpe 8? (I realize the most optimal is the 6/8/14-16 rep variety of the hypertrophy template)
        No difference, in general.

Originally posted by MC Wizzel View Post
        2) since I will only train barbells twice a week once running training begins, can I do high rep sets (like myoreps) of the competition lifts to maintain volume and not lose too much of the strength I gained from the 3 day hypertrophy plan (which im currently rerunning)?
        I probably would do a few sets of 4-6 reps @ RPE 8 or so if you only get to do it 2x/wk
        Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
        X