Is this a good reason to do sumo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good reason to do sumo?

Whenever I do 3 sets of 5 deadlifts @ 75% I puke. I could certainly do ten times as many sets of squats at the same intensity without puking. How normal is this? How is conditioning supposed to help with this?

Could the more vertical back angle that moderates the stress on the spinal erectors enable me to train the DL with appropriate volume at appropriate intensities, at least until I can find a way to get out of this perpetual calorie surplus?

... this is very unusual.

I don't know whether pulling sumo would help, but I suppose it's worth a try -- potentially in addition to a medical evaluation if you have frequent vomiting like this.
    IG / YT

Comment

I've done a DL session of this intensity four times in the past two months and have wretched 3/4 times (with significant nausea the time I didn't).

My waist is 42.5 inches measured one inch above the navel, and I'm not in good enough shape to run a ten minute mile.

Do you really feel that these circumstances are so extreme that they justify the financial cost of a medical evaluation?

I assumed that I'm just very cardiovascularly out-of-shape. Are you saying that you would not expect adding in cardio training to help with this?

Comment

• Leah Lutz
        Leah Lutz commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not Austin, obviously, but even when I was severely deconditioned, I never threw up while deadlifting, even multiple reps at 75%

• Evanther
        Evanther commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, were you a rank novice when that stuff happened Leah, or was there a time where you somewhat trained but >30% body fat? I wonder if at the time you are refering to you were not strong enough and/or neurally efficient enough to over-fatigue yourself with those deadlifts? Or is that just not likely?

I'm very cardiovascularly deconditioned, but I deadlifted 445 at like ~225 last month so I'm reasonably experienced with the movement pattern at this point.

Are you wearing a belt?

I don't think this is secondary to lack of conditioning either, as these are low rep sets of deadlifts.
      Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
      ///Website /// Instagram /// Periā„¢ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Evanther View Post
        Do you really feel that these circumstances are so extreme that they justify the financial cost of a medical evaluation?
        If you're experiencing vomiting outside the context of the gym as well, then yes.

If you're literally only experiencing it when deadlifting, then I'd agree with Jordan's question regarding the belt. The deadlift is not inherently more cardiovascularly taxing than the squat, and you said yourself that you could do ten times as many squats without vomiting, so conditioning seems unlikely to be the cause.
        IG / YT

Comment

I used to feel a bit nauseous after deadlifting if I had eaten too recently to lifting. I now try to leave at least an hour and a half after eating before I train. Also, I think I was wearing my belt a notch too tight.

Loosening your belt a bit and leaving more time between eating and training might help

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
            Are you wearing a belt?

I don't think this is secondary to lack of conditioning either, as these are low rep sets of deadlifts.
            i see. no belt, no.

Comment

Working...
            X