Higher reps for endurance? (Cyclist)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher reps for endurance? (Cyclist)

Apologies if this was covered, but I couldn't find an answer with a search.

I like mountain biking in addition to strength training.

I started with starting strength over a year ago and have done the Bridge and Endurance templates after. I'm 41.

I have learned that the straight 5x5 isn't always good, so I have learned that sometimes there is a place for 3x3 or singles and the like.

Anyway, I have read there is a time and place for higher reps, but I have also read all they do is increase inflammation and soreness.

As the weather warms, I like to spend more time on the bike, so I usually back off the volume in the weight room to give my legs a bit of a break.

So my long winded question, as an avid mountain biker, is should I incorporate any higher rep training to build muscular endurance, or just keep lifting heavy and riding more to increase endurance on the bike?

Originally posted by TheGuildedAge View Post
    Anyway, I have read there is a time and place for higher reps, but I have also read all they do is increase inflammation and soreness.
    This is bullshit.

Originally posted by TheGuildedAge View Post
    So my long winded question, as an avid mountain biker, is should I incorporate any higher rep training to build muscular endurance, or just keep lifting heavy and riding more to increase endurance on the bike?
    Since you're not planning to specialize in a strength sport that selects for a particular outcome (like a 1RM, for example), it is reasonable to expose yourself to a wide variety of rep ranges. With that said, I think that the majority of your "muscular endurance" is going to be generated from cycling itself.
    IG / YT

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Baraki View Post

This is bullshit.

Since you're not planning to specialize in a strength sport that selects for a particular outcome (like a 1RM, for example), it is reasonable to expose yourself to a wide variety of rep ranges. With that said, I think that the majority of your "muscular endurance" is going to be generated from cycling itself.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
      X