Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Prescription – Programming Query

Hi Team,

Thanks for the excellent content / programming provided as part of Beginner Prescription. I have been making good progress on Squat and Deadlift, specially days with 3@4 @rep 6 / 7 / 8, help in providing confidence to increase weight on the bar. I have been not making much progress on Bench Press, where even 1 Kilo addition also getting tougher. Since we do not have 3@4 for bench press, there isn’t enough confidence to add weight on bar. Can we substitute 3@4 OHP with BP to give focus on BP? or add 3@4 BP along with OHP on that day?

Planning to run this for few more weeks, before moving on to Bridge 1.0. I have purchased powerbuilding during the July 4th sale, which I am planning to run post Bridge.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. I would not sub out the OHP for the bench press at this point in your training career, as I don't think it's appropriate to specialize in the bench press at this point of your training career. I would also run the beginner template prior to the bridge 1.0. That's the correct program for you at this time IMO
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

I was wondering this too as I am assissting a couple of people through the beginner prescription and their BP is stalling. Would it be more appropriate to switch day 3 onto sets of 4 for BP, and move OHP to 8's so the pressing volume is still equal? Or is the overall plan to strengthen the OHP earlier because it is a more 'whole body' movement?

Comment

Originally posted by BarbellButler View Post
        I was wondering this too as I am assissting a couple of people through the beginner prescription and their BP is stalling. Would it be more appropriate to switch day 3 onto sets of 4 for BP, and move OHP to 8's so the pressing volume is still equal? Or is the overall plan to strengthen the OHP earlier because it is a more 'whole body' movement?
        I would not recommend changing the template or "equating" volume, as that's not really applicable here. To be clear, someone can't "stall" on the Beginner Prescription until week 4. Once they do, I'd consider moving to the Beginner Template (phase 2) or give it another week before doing that. I would not try to manipulate programming variables within the confines of an existing program to "milk" it out. Just move on
        Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks, gotta get out of the SSLP mindset of milking stuff!

Comment

Thanks Jordan

Comment

Jordan Feigenbaum Based on your advice just purchased the Beginner Template, excited to get started with it. To give you a background, i had downloaded the beginner prescription and currently in the sixth week(basically running 4th week repeatedly), and just realized, after week 1, we need to start doing the last set 4@8 or 10@8 for 2 sets. I have been doing only 1 set so far. Totally my fault.

Can you advice how should I move forward? Should I start running Beginner Template from week 1 or going forward start doing the last exercise for 2 sets? Plan is to run week 4 for few more time, before i move on to Phase 2.

Comment

Working...
              X