Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat suffering after change from Hypertrophy II to PL II

HI BBM,

I recently ran Hypertrophy and saw good progress, consistently adding 1-3 kgs every workout. After HT II I started PL II. My 1ERMs took a hit, but that was to be expected I guess as I had been training higher rep ranges for 10 weeks. However my squat has continued going down, with my [email protected] pretty much hitting my [email protected] from last week of HT II. I seem to be stuck improving my [email protected] from a level I thought was just a step back to let my back get better (which it did). I am considering if I am just way overestimating my RPE when squatting. It feels like whenever I take a step back with the squat my body very quickly calibrates to that level of strength - it sounds silly, I know.

Any tips for how to proceed or how to deal when this happens?

Training history:
    Got back to lifting early 2018. Did various shit and some Starting strength style training in 2018. At the start of 2019 I ran the Bridge, then PB I, then HT II and now PL II.
    Historically bad at squatting.
    I have attached some pictures detailing progress in deadlift and TnG bench (as I did not Comp pause bench in HT II).

Squatting:
    My top sets

Last week of HT:
    8 x 120 kg @ RPE 9

Week 1 of PL:
    5 x 128 kg @ RPE 9.5

Week 2:
    3 x 128 kg @ RPE 9 (after a single @ 140 that was more like RPE 10)

Week 3:
    5 x 118 kg @ RPE 8.5 (going lighter due to back bothering me)

Week 4
    5 x 120 kg @ RPE 8.5

Week 5
    5 x 122 kg @ RPE 8.5

Hey Andy,

I know that can be frustrating. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this!

Do you have a video of the 8 @ 120 and the 5 @ 122?

-Jordan
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

I hope we can! Thankful for your input!

Unfortunately I don't. I took a video tonight of 5x125 @ 9.
      It has been a while since I reviewed my squat technique and this was more dive bomby and more goodmorning-esque than I would have liked!
      Enjoy the Danish hype man

Comment

And here is the video

Comment

Without seeing the 120 x 8, I'd guess that there was a bit more form (and perhaps depth) variation that's contributing here than any real loss of strength. These appear to be high bar, which is fine, though I'd recommend you try to stay a bit more upright by getting your knees in place first during the descent and pushing your hips forward on the way up.
          Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
          ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
          X