This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Light Medium

Jordon, I've heard you say a few times that you don't like the HLM format. Can you please explain why exactly?

The typical HLM setup includes heavy, light, and medium days- with the adjectives referring to loading parameters and/or predicted stress levels. I think it is highly unlikely that on a given day a person has significantly greater training and recovery resources than any other day. Rather, I think it's more likely that training and recovery resources ebb and flow based on a multitude of factors unrelated to the training plan necessarily. Therefore, I think that medium-medium-medium is a better plan than HLM from an organizational standpoint. HLM can be useful if it just describes intensity, but the stress produced by each workout are relatively similar.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Why did you guys put out a HLM? Is it different from the traditional HLM programs?

Comment

Originally posted by adivin3 View Post
        Why did you guys put out a HLM? Is it different from the traditional HLM programs?
        Yes. It is more medium x 3 with respect to stress levels.
        Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

• Anthony King
          Anthony King commented
          Editing a comment
          My experience using the BBM HLM template is that Heavy and Medium days are almost equivalent in stress but that the light day is significantly less difficult than the other two. I chose it because of my job, which is very physically demanding mid-week. On my second HLM run that I added in more stress to the Light Day as my recovery and work capacity improved.

Obviously it is hard to say whether my initial perception of the Light Day as significantly less stressful that the other two was placebo.
      Working...
      X