Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining Gains

Jordan/Austin,

Thanks so much for creating the At-Home Template and with such short notice too, really appreciate it. I'm slowly figuring out how to do non-barbell exercises and it's quite fun. I have to admit though, the more I do the exercises, the more I realise just how effective barbells really were in building muscle.

This brings me to my point: just how realistically can we expect to maintain previous gains by training in this way for the next few months?

Jeff Nippard recently quoted a 2011 study (below), in that athletes could conserve their muscle mass for several months by performing 1/9 of their previous training volume in that time. This was compared athletes who did nothing and lost more of their muscle mass. I realise beginners and intermediates will have a much easier time doing this than advanced lifters.

What would your view be on this and does the study reflect your experience in this?

Much appreciated as always,
    Sheak
    Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1177-87. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e318207c15d. Randomized Controlled Trial; Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.

People can likely maintain more than they think during such times, but as with most things there will be a large amount of inter-individual variability in response.

Strength seems to be better maintained than muscle mass on average, but there are a number of changes that occur during the training process that lay the groundwork for a more rapid / more robust training response upon subsequent re-training.

I am working on this very topic for this upcoming month's BBM Research Review.
    IG / YT

Comment

Many thanks Austin. That sounds awesome and it's really good to hear your take on this. Looking forward to this month's review!

Comment

Working...
      X