Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about myo-reps and upper back GPP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questions about myo-reps and upper back GPP

    I'm finishing up week 4 of Powerbuilding I and I've really been enjoying the program so far. I have a few questions regarding myo-reps and upper back GPP.
    1. Powerbuilding I specifies doing 14-16 reps @ RPE8 of Pendlay rows for the activation set followed by back off sets of 3-5 reps every 20 seconds. The back off sets are where I'm running into a bit of confusion. The Powerbuilding I PDF explains that the smaller number, 3 in this case, represents the cut-off for the myo-reps. You're finished once any set is performed for 3 or less reps. However, a little further into the PDF, an example of 3-3-3-2 reps is given with an explanation that you're finished after the 2 reps. That seems to contradict the earlier statement that said you're finished once any set is performed for 3 or less reps. Using the earlier explanation, I would expect to be finished after the first set of 3, not the last set of 2.
    2. Is it ok to perform another row variation, T-bar row for example, for the myo-reps instead of the Pendlay row?
    3. The upper back GPP is performed 2x week. How does doing this extra back work not interfere with recovery from deadlifting and the rowing work for the myo-reps? Is it a matter of it being performed with less intensity?
    Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by WK89 View Post
    I'm finishing up week 4 of Powerbuilding I and I've really been enjoying the program so far. I have a few questions regarding myo-reps and upper back GPP.
    1. Powerbuilding I specifies doing 14-16 reps @ RPE8 of Pendlay rows for the activation set followed by back off sets of 3-5 reps every 20 seconds. The back off sets are where I'm running into a bit of confusion. The Powerbuilding I PDF explains that the smaller number, 3 in this case, represents the cut-off for the myo-reps. You're finished once any set is performed for 3 or less reps. However, a little further into the PDF, an example of 3-3-3-2 reps is given with an explanation that you're finished after the 2 reps. That seems to contradict the earlier statement that said you're finished once any set is performed for 3 or less reps. Using the earlier explanation, I would expect to be finished after the first set of 3, not the last set of 2.
    2. Is it ok to perform another row variation, T-bar row for example, for the myo-reps instead of the Pendlay row?
    3. The upper back GPP is performed 2x week. How does doing this extra back work not interfere with recovery from deadlifting and the rowing work for the myo-reps? Is it a matter of it being performed with less intensity?
    Thanks!
    1) Not really a contradiction, as the smaller number indicates the cutoff IF you did 5 reps the first back off set.

    2) Yes.

    3) I don't think about performance potential as strictly an absence of fatigue. Additionally, more training gives the potential for more fitness adaptations, right?
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

      1) Not really a contradiction, as the smaller number indicates the cutoff IF you did 5 reps the first back off set.

      2) Yes.

      3) I don't think about performance potential as strictly an absence of fatigue. Additionally, more training gives the potential for more fitness adaptations, right?
      Thanks for your insight Jordan. With respect to #1, I reread that section of the Powerbuilding I PDF and managed to come away more confused. Section 9f states that the first time you hit 2 reps less than the first set of 3-5 reps, you're done. It goes on to say If you hit 4,4,3, you're done after the set of 3. The first set here would be 4. How is 3 '2 reps less' than 4? Likewise, the next example of 3,3,3,2 says you're done after the set of 2. 2 isn't '2 reps less' than 3.

      I'm sure I'm making this way harder than it needs to be. What am I missing here?

      Also with respect to #3, I guess my follow up question would be is there such thing as too much of a good thing when it comes to lifting? I guess I was under the influence of bro science and had believed that working the same 'body part' multiple times without proper rest would hinder recovery and prevent muscle and strength gains.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WK89 View Post

        Thanks for your insight Jordan. With respect to #1, I reread that section of the Powerbuilding I PDF and managed to come away more confused. Section 9f states that the first time you hit 2 reps less than the first set of 3-5 reps, you're done. It goes on to say If you hit 4,4,3, you're done after the set of 3. The first set here would be 4. How is 3 '2 reps less' than 4?

        Likewise, the next example of 3,3,3,2 says you're done after the set of 2. 2 isn't '2 reps less' than 3.

        The range is 3-5. So, you can hit 2 reps less than 5 on your first set, e.g. a set of 3 after a set of 5, and then be done. Alternatively, any set below 3 is cause for shutting it down.

        Likewise, the next example of 3,3,3,2 says you're done after the set of 2. 2 isn't '2 reps less' than 3.

        Originally posted by WK89 View Post

        Also with respect to #3, I guess my follow up question would be is there such thing as too much of a good thing when it comes to lifting? I guess I was under the influence of bro science and had believed that working the same 'body part' multiple times without proper rest would hinder recovery and prevent muscle and strength gains.
        Only if it's overwhelming your ability to tolerate the training, which is possible of course. I don't think so necessarily with how we have it programmed, however.
        Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

        Comment

        Working...
        X