X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifter2017
    replied
    Thanks Austin. I guess I'd better practice singles more often and find out :-)

Leave a comment:

• timelinex
    commented on 's reply
    Understood. I didn't mean to imply that you said there wasn't a genetic component. I suppose I was just trying to add my +1 that genetics definitely can be a big part of it.

• Austin Baraki
    replied
    Originally posted by timelinex View Post

Not to take anything away from the importance of practicing the skill, but I think there has to be a genetic component. I didn't practice singles throughout my entire LP and while I have tested my 1rm on bench throughout the years, I never tested or did anything under 4 or 5 reps on the squat/deadlift/press. When I tested my 1rm's before going to intermediate programming I found that all of my actual 1rm's were 5%+ higher than my e1rm's.
    Of course there's a genetic component. I never said that wasn't a significant factor. But again, you can't tell anything about his "genetics" pertaining to his ability to manifest a 1RM effort until he's had adequate practice with the skill first.

Leave a comment:

• timelinex
    replied
    Originally posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    If you never practice singles, you’re not going to be good at generating a true 1RM effort. So while there may be a genetic component, we can’t tell until you get much more proficient with executing heavy singles.
    Not to take anything away from the importance of practicing the skill, but I think there has to be a genetic component. I didn't practice singles throughout my entire LP and while I have tested my 1rm on bench throughout the years, I never tested or did anything under 4 or 5 reps on the squat/deadlift/press. When I tested my 1rm's before going to intermediate programming I found that all of my actual 1rm's were 5%+ higher than my e1rm's.

Leave a comment:

• Austin Baraki
    replied
    If you never practice singles, you’re not going to be good at generating a true 1RM effort. So while there may be a genetic component, we can’t tell until you get much more proficient with executing heavy singles.

Leave a comment:

• lifter2017
    started a topic Estimated vs actual 1RM

Estimated vs actual 1RM

Hi I've been training for 8 months, I weigh 171lbs, and am a 35 yr old male.

I recently completed a 3 month training block and on the last week, performed heavy singles working up to my 1RM, I was surprised how much lower my actual 1RM was than estimated. For example:

Squat: heaviest working set 240 x 4 reps, 1RM 265 = 10.4% stronger
    Press: heaviest working set 112 x 4 reps, 1RM 125 = 11.6% stronger
    Deadlift: heaviest working set: 285 x 4 reps, 1RM 300 = 5.2% stronger

(the working sets were completed on a recent prior day).

I was expecting to be about 20% stronger across the board, as my heavy working sets are estimated to be 80% of my 1RM.

My question is: is this strength distribution caused by a lack of skill from not training heavy singles ever, or do you think it's a genetic thing and I should just focus on increasing my working sets and not try to increase my 1RM relative to my working set weight?

Working...
X