Off Season training structure for a powerlifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Season training structure for a powerlifter

Is peaking for a 1RM test useless unless i have a competition scheduled? Should i just repeat hypertrophy and strength mesocycles? Is it recommended to do that kind of developmental training year round? Any danger of running into adaptive resistance? (By mostly training in a 3-10 rep range)

I see no point in peaking (Very low volume very high intensity training in general) unless an important meet is scheduled.

Some context, if it matters - My goals are to increase the big 3 for competing in powerlifting in the future. I am 18 years old and have around 1-2 years of experience with well structured and serious strength training. I am improving very well with high / moderate volume training which is why i feel like it should be done year round. Anything wrong with that? Thanks.

I think that it depends how experienced a powerlifter is, their individual preferences and history (e.g. injury, performance, etc.), and how many times they compete a year.

That said, I typically have my competitors test maxes a few times a year- even out of competition if the training cycle is going well. I don't think you should avoid testing when the training is going well and the program calls for it and additionally, the majority of your training should develop strength and hypertrophy
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Periā„¢ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
    X