X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

I wouldn't want to speak for someone else on this topic.
    I understand.

I recently read the novice chapter in Practical Programming for Strength Training where Rip talks about completing more reps each time if you can't increase the load (5x4x4 then 5x5x5 and then add weight the next time) and deloading. It does sound a bit like pushing to the very end. This is why I was asking whether your opinion on the matter was different.

Leave a comment:

• Jordan Feigenbaum
    replied
    Originally posted by Serack View Post

Huh. Presumably you mean working weight. I'm around this threshold for my Bridge work right now, and I've been wondering if the micro-loading was worth the effort to remember to bring the plates (not allowed to bring my bag into the workout area, so I keep forgetting them). In my relative ignorance I was thinking on the one hand, 5# was no longer a large % increase in load, but on the other, it may be a relatively large % of my potential.

Good to get word from the Dr. on the matter.
    Yes, I mean working weight.

Leave a comment:

• Jordan Feigenbaum
    replied
    Originally posted by UserName View Post
    Interesting.

Would you say your opinion on the matter slightly defers from Rip's?
    I wouldn't want to speak for someone else on this topic.

Leave a comment:

• Serack
    replied
    Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I would not microload the squat or deadlift. I think it's reasonable to microload the upper body lifts if they are performed with relatively light weights where a 5lb jump represents a large increase in intensity.

If you're benching over 200lbs then I probably wouldn't microload the bench either.

I think linear progression doesn't work for a terribly long time and trying to force it produces decreased training development over the long term.
    Huh. Presumably you mean working weight. I'm around this threshold for my Bridge work right now, and I've been wondering if the micro-loading was worth the effort to remember to bring the plates (not allowed to bring my bag into the workout area, so I keep forgetting them). In my relative ignorance I was thinking on the one hand, 5# was no longer a large % increase in load, but on the other, it may be a relatively large % of my potential.

Good to get word from the Dr. on the matter.

Leave a comment:

• UserName
    replied
    Interesting.

Would you say your opinion on the matter slightly defers from Rip's?

Leave a comment:

• mo.xiaoming
    replied
    Yes, I've been an idiot. Indeed we should consider the weight we add in a relative matter, not absolute

Leave a comment:

• Jordan Feigenbaum
    replied
    I would not microload the squat or deadlift. I think it's reasonable to microload the upper body lifts if they are performed with relatively light weights where a 5lb jump represents a large increase in intensity.

If you're benching over 200lbs then I probably wouldn't microload the bench either.

I think linear progression doesn't work for a terribly long time and trying to force it produces decreased training development over the long term.

Leave a comment:

• mo.xiaoming
    started a topic Should we microload during LP?

Should we microload during LP?

If we are not able to add 5 lbs to squat after a while, then we add 2.5 lbs each session according to SS. However, if we can make easy 5lbs/w progress on intermediate program, what's the merit of grinding 7.5lbs/w just to stay in NLP?

Comes to upper body movement, should we just add 5lbs to the bar each time, once it slows down, as Austin or Jordan suggested do 5x5 then add 3x8 of alternative press to keep the progress, once that slows down, would it be more efficient to change to intermediate program and focus on one press instead. Because just like squat, I think for most male lifter, on early intermediate stage, add at least 5lbs to all movements per week is a reasonable expectation.
Working...
X