Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing the switch to high bar, need some programming tips (if needed)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing the switch to high bar, need some programming tips (if needed)

Hello Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum and Dr. Austin Baraki,

I took a week off from lower body lifts to see if that would help my nagging hip issue. Tuesday will be the first day back and I plan to try out high bar. The learning curve might be steep, as I previously tried light high bar squats and I was blown away how uncoordinated I felt. I plan on doing LP on High bar for a while until the movement pattern is ingrained in my head (I was doing a modified program provided by SSC Jayson Ball in which I am not doing LP), and also because the stress won't be as much because the limiter will be my coordination of the movement, not strength. I am not completely sure of the training effect differences of high bar vs low bar, so I just wanted to know if I should increase DL frequency (current DL-related movement template is 3x8 rows Tues, 1x5 DL Thurs, and 4x5 Paused DL Sat). Also I would like to know what percentage of weight of my last DL session I should use for my next heavy DL day. The last time I deadlifted heavy was March 1st (pretty much 11 days from today). I don't want to overshoot it and have a string of failed DL sessions and get stuck in a rut.

Thanks for your input,
    -ColoradoMinesCole

I would not do LP with high bar squat if you're not a novice, as the learning curve is pretty quick. You should add weight as you can, which is a benefit of RPE in a situation like this.

I would not increase deadlift frequency, as there are no training effect differences (meaningful anyway) between them requiring more pulling to make up for them.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Periā„¢ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

• ColoradoMinesCole
      ColoradoMinesCole commented
      Editing a comment
      Slow progress after dropping 70 lbs to do high bar doesn't sound as fun, but long term gains are better than trying to increase to fast, I suppose.
Working...
X