When to switch to 4-day programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to switch to 4-day programs?

I have completed the SSNLP > Bridge 1.0 > PB1 > and am currently running Hypertrophy 1.
    I will likely do a Strength template next.

When is the right time to move onto the 4-day per week templates (Strength 2, PB 2, Hypertrophy 2, etc.)? Some options:
    • Continue using 3-day templates until I stall for some period of time. --> Run Strength 1 next
    • Move to 4-day templates if I have 4 training days available. --> Run Strength 2 next

Additionally, is there a suggested program order when cycling templates?

If you need more training to drive the desired adaptations, things will naturally spill over into a 4-day/wk program. Alternatively, it may be easier for some folks to train 4x/wk with shorter sessions (but similar volume) than a 3x/wk setup.

There is not a suggested program order outside of the progression on a specific template's 1> 2> 3 (where applicable). Each type of template is tweaked for different goals, which would ultimately determine the correct template to run.

Out of curiosity, what are your stats right now?
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Hi Dr. Feigenbaum,

My stats
      Height: 5' 2" (short dude)
      Weight: 150lbs (I was a typical underweight novice at 104lbs in 2019, bulked up to a fluffy 159lbs with 37" waist while lifting. Now cutting a bit during Hypertrophy 1)

My lifts at the end of PB 1, single @ RPE ~9:
      Squat: 285lbs (actually this was at the end of Bridge 1.0. I had some groin/hip tendinopathy so avoided heavy squats during PB 1 and did paused/tempo work instead.)
      Bench: 155lbs
      OHP: 125lbs
      Deadlift: 330lbs

Desired training adaptations: bigger, leaner, stronger (as measured by power lifts I guess)

Comment

That's pretty cool man, nice work!

I love hypertrophy I for you right now and would probably do PB II after that if you can swing 4x/wk. Alternatively, if you had good results on PB 1, you could repeat that as well.
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Dr. Feigenbaum,

I appreciate the response! I'll try running PB 2 after finishing up Hypertrophy 1.

A couple more questions:
          • Is it reasonable to alternate between PB 2 and Hypertrophy 2 going forward (until it stops working)?
          • Is your suggestion that I don't really need to worry about the Strength templates for the time being unless I decide to compete? (I realize this is subjective and I can do whatever I 'want' )
          Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by mukramesh View Post
            Dr. Feigenbaum,

I appreciate the response! I'll try running PB 2 after finishing up Hypertrophy 1.

A couple more questions:
            • Is it reasonable to alternate between PB 2 and Hypertrophy 2 going forward (until it stops working)?
            • Is your suggestion that I don't really need to worry about the Strength templates for the time being unless I decide to compete? (I realize this is subjective and I can do whatever I 'want' )
            Best regards.
            I think if you really want to prioritize strength then you may prefer our strength-focused templates. Otherwise, alternating PB2 and Hypertrophy 2 is totally reasonable to me.

Comment

Working...
            X