Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Conditioning programming while dieting

Howdy,

I'm currently running Hypertrophy I while dieting to lose some fat (~10 lbs). I would like to preserve as much muscle as possible, so I was wondering if changing up the conditioning would be appropriate. I have heard Mike Israetel and Eric Helms say that high impact conditioning modalities with a significant eccentric component are not great for preserving muscle mass while dieting (compared to lower impact forms such as walking on a treadmill or using an elliptical), so I was planning on replacing all programmed HIIT cardio with LISS cardio just for this template. Does this seem like a good idea? Is there merit to this school of thought?

Also, I have heard that it can be a good idea to separate conditioning from lifting weights as much as possible. In light of that, I was going to move my cardio & trunk work to Sundays and Tuesdays while lifting weights on the other five days of the week. This doesn't give me a complete "off day" during the week, but I was thinking that probably doesn't matter much. Pretty much the same question here: Does this seem like a good idea? Is there merit to this belief?

I think that in this context, which is not prepping for a bodybuilding show at a very low body fat, this information is not relevant. I also think that HIIT can be done with low impact, low eccentric component, e.g. rowing, cycling, etc.

I don't think it matters if you separate your lifting and conditioning at all in this context. For competitive athletes with very high training volumes however, this may be useful.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Periā„¢ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
    X