Bench press, odd man out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench press, odd man out?

Of all the lifts BP strikes me as one of the most odd from an 'evolutionary' perspective. A lot of our diet and compound movements seem to have been needed in human history. IE picking up a heavy weight off the floor? DL pattern. Squatting down to pick up buckets and weight on your back->squat pattern. Lifting something to a higher level for someone else to throw into a pile->standing press.

BP seems to have one of if not the shortest ranges of motion for a major compound exercise, can't relly think of a past evolutionary movement for it, and yet its considered a tried and true 'big three'

Why is this the case, and why isn't say standing press, barbell row, considered among the 'big' three instead?

Pressing things off of you and applying force with your upper body horizontally seem to fit your definition pretty well.

The Big 3 is from powerlifting, which is a sport of arbitrary movements.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
      Pressing things off of you and applying force with your upper body horizontally seem to fit your definition pretty well.

The Big 3 is from powerlifting, which is a sport of arbitrary movements.
      but BP isn't a horizontal force (most of the time) it's you pressing things against a resistance including gravity, to the exact same height/point (almost). Seems to be no evolutionary need for this, unlike the other movements patterns

Anywyas peeked my interest

Comment

Originally posted by xxispawn01xx View Post

but BP isn't a horizontal force (most of the time) it's you pressing things against a resistance including gravity, to the exact same height/point (almost). Seems to be no evolutionary need for this, unlike the other movements patterns

Anywyas peeked my interest
        A few things here:

1) Bench press is a horizontal pressing movement.
        2) Evolution is not concerned with movements that do not contribute to reproductive success. None of the exercises we're discussing are relevant to evolution and I think we should stop using that term.
        3) No one has to bench press, but I wouldn't make up arguments against it either.

Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
        X