RPE 9 feels easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPE 9 feels easy

Hello BBM, I have been running the bridge for the second time and I'm making good progress on squats and deadlifts, the only problem I have is with bench press. I have been trying to get better at RPE but I just can't get it to work. I'm a faster lifter when it comes to benching so for me internally and in terms of bar speed RPE 9 feels easy, more like a 7-8 (compared to my SQ/DL), and because of this I tend to overshoot RPE and miss reps more often on bench. RPE 10 for me does not feel like a true maximum very grindy effort, even though if I attempt another rep I fail. When I'm prescribed RPE 8 sets they all feel much easier and I feel internally like I have at least 3-4 reps more when in reality I only have 2. Bar speed seems to not be a good indicator for me either so I was thinking of modifying the RPE scale and instead of RPE 9 being 1 rep left, for me it would be 2 reps left, RPE 8 3 reps left etc... This way my internal feeling won't overshoot whats actually possible in reality. What do you guys think about this?

Hey Andy,

How long have you been lifting and do you have a video that shows this?

-Jordan
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

• Andy916
      Andy916 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have a video unfortunately, been lifting (with good programming) for about a year now. Previously ran SS went from 105lbs bodyweight at 5ft6 to 135 with a flabby 33inch waist and only benching 100lbs for a 4 rep max(no pause), also reset and stalled multiple times at the exact same 100-105lbs barrier while gaining weight. Right now after some of my own programming which was based on BBM's advice im rerunning the bridge again.
      Currently I weigh 132lbs and this happened today. I was doing 3ct paused bench 61kg x4 felt solid, I was convinced it was RPE 8, jumped to 65kg for the next set, turns out to be a 3RM, failed 4th rep, dropped back down 61kg moving x4 just as easy as the first set. Currently trying to gain weight since my waist is at 28.5 inches.

Yea, I don't think that's unusual. Using our calculator, 61kg x 4 @ 8 suggests 64kg x 4 would be a 9.5 at best. I don't think this experience is outside the norm, but would rather take smaller, more conservative jumps. It is far better to undershoot by a half RPE than to go to failure IMO.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Working...
    X