• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Another) Hypertrophy question

Hello Jordan/Austin,

Some info below for reference

Weight: 67kg/148lbs
    Daily protein intake: ~40-60g
    Squat e1RM: 77kg/170lbs (current squat training duration ~2.5 months)
    Current training duration: 7 months

Goals
    - Maintain weight
    - Short term goal (in ~1-2 years) of 100kg/220lbs squat. At the same time, I do not want lower body hypertrophy. Inner thighs are already rubbing against each other and it can be annoying when walking (causes frontal wedgies with shorts)
    - Increase upper body hypertrophy (shoulders/chest/upper back)

Question - How (un)reasonable are these goals based on my current training history/nutrition? Am I unlikely to notice any difference in hypertrophy given the low protein intake and maintenance calories?

Thank you in advance!

p.s. looking forward to the new content!

Your protein intake is very low, making muscle gain very difficult. It is unlikely your legs will spontaneously grow without training them with substantial amounts of volume. It is also unlikely your legs are carrying too much muscle with this level of training. If you don't gain weight, you're unlikely to get larger legs, but with a low level of protein intake you can lose muscle- though this would be somewhat difficult with your age and and active participation in resistance training.
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Damn I didn't realize my protein intake was that low (just read the bbm protein recommendations).

So all I have to do is up my protein to ~87-107g (1.3-1.6g/kg bodyweight) and I should be in a better position for more gainzZz?

Appreciate the feedback!

Comment

I would set it at 1.6g/kg/day (not 1.3) and go from there
        Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X