How to get strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get strong

I want to get in to powerlifting training but im afraid that always that I've tried to increase load and volume I start to get some aches and pains, mainly on my lower back and on my upper chest.

I've tried powerbuilding I and made no progress and tried Powerbuilding II and progresed but as volume increases i start having aches and pains.
    I've run bodybuilding template before succesfully.

My plan is to maybe run the entire bodybuilding or the hypertrophy II template and put on lean body mass and also increase my work capactiy. And after that run de low fatigue template.
    Thoughts?

Been training for almost 3 years.
    BW 73 kg
    5'9
    Squat e1rm: 117.5
    Bench e1rm: 117.5 (bench the same as my squat lol)
    Deadlift e1rm: 147.5

(P.S. I´m familiar with your content, and can't afford a consult)

JDGT,

Thanks for the post and I hope you've had a great weekend. A few questions:

Do you have a video of your squat you can share?
    What did you do before PB I?
    Are your lifts in KG or LBs?

-Jordan
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jordan.

1. Here's me doing 90 kg on the high bar squat for 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcO_RmP_PY
      2. I did the entire bodybuilding template, then powerbuilding ii, then powerbuilding i, then powerbuilding ii again.
      3. All the lifts are in KG.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgt View Post
        Thanks for the reply Jordan.

1. Here's me doing 90 kg on the high bar squat for 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcO_RmP_PY
        2. I did the entire bodybuilding template, then powerbuilding ii, then powerbuilding i, then powerbuilding ii again.
        3. All the lifts are in KG.
        JDGT,

Thanks for the reply and video. I appreciate you taking the time to do that and it definitely looks like you've been putting in work!

I think you'd be best served by doing our Beginner Template, as I suspect the templates you've done so far are a bit too much for your current level of fitness. Evidence supporting this includes the aches and pains you describe, need for more work capacity, and technique in the video. FWIW, I would tell the guy "spotting" you to never touch you unless you stop moving upwards. Additionally, these squats are above parallel. I'd reduce the load, go a bit deeper, work back up from there.

Tl;dr- Beginner template. Focus on dietary protein and fiber. Squat deeper.

-Jordan
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Tranks for the advice doctor.

A few questions regarding the Beginner template:

1. Should I start from block I or block II?
          2. Do you think I will put on muscle with this lower volume?
          3. Should I slowly gain weight?

Comment

JDGT,

I think you should start with block I, yes. I do not think this is "low volume", but rather a more appropriate amount of volume for you at this point of your training career. This likely means you have more potential to grow with this program than a higher volume one. I don't think rapid weight gain is ever the answer. If you desire weight gain and your waist is <32", slow weight gain is a good idea IMO.

-Jordan

Comment

That's what I'm going to do.
              Thanks for taking the time to respond Jordan!

Comment

Working...
              X