Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner Template - General S&C

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beginner Template - General S&C

    I'm currently on phase 1 of the beginner template after a 10 week lay-off. I'm considering doing General S&C afterwards, but I'm a bit concerned about the huge drop in volume on squats and deads, without the average intensity going up and I'm worried the template Will actually detrain me.

  • #2
    I would not agree with that programming comparison in the context of the entire week's program and all of its elements. The General S/C template is higher stress than the beginner template and would be very unlikely to detrain you.



    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
      I would not agree with that programming comparison in the context of the entire week's program and all of its elements. The General S/C template is higher stress than the beginner template and would be very unlikely to detrain you.


      Okay, thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to the template when I'm done with the beginner template. Before my lay-off I used to cycle between PB2 and PL2, but I think those programs were maybe too advanced for my level. I thought I would maybe increase my strength and mass by training more, but maybe I'd be better off, by training e.g. Strength1 because that program matches my level of recovery?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
        I would not agree with that programming comparison in the context of the entire week's program and all of its elements. The General S/C template is higher stress than the beginner template and would be very unlikely to detrain you.


        I'm, of course, also comparing phase 3 of the beginner template vs general S&c, but I don't know if you still think that General S&C is an increase in stress.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Appelgreen View Post

          I'm, of course, also comparing phase 3 of the beginner template vs general S&c, but I don't know if you still think that General S&C is an increase in stress.
          Yes, I would overall if we're comparing running the BT through vs one block in isolation. Gen S/C is pretty different from an exercise selection and mode standpoint such that I think there's a disproportionate amount of stress relative to stimulus for most folks coming off of different programs (including BT). Still, overall stress should be similar between the two programs when applied to the appropriate demographic- though I think the absolute amount of stimulus is higher in G S/C.

          I also think that the underlying assumption that people need more vs different stimulus can be misguided. I suppose we are partly responsible for this since we were fighting about the role volume played in training results for so long. In any case, I think that changing the type (or formulation) of the training stimulus would be my preferred approach rather than upping the dose at first.

          Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
          ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Appelgreen View Post

            Okay, thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to the template when I'm done with the beginner template. Before my lay-off I used to cycle between PB2 and PL2, but I think those programs were maybe too advanced for my level. I thought I would maybe increase my strength and mass by training more, but maybe I'd be better off, by training e.g. Strength1 because that program matches my level of recovery?
            Yea it's possible that the dose was too high for you to thrive on those templates. I'd be curious how G S/C works for you after BT. You'd probably be better-suited to run PB or PL2 afterwards though.
            Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
            ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

              Yes, I would overall if we're comparing running the BT through vs one block in isolation. Gen S/C is pretty different from an exercise selection and mode standpoint such that I think there's a disproportionate amount of stress relative to stimulus for most folks coming off of different programs (including BT). Still, overall stress should be similar between the two programs when applied to the appropriate demographic- though I think the absolute amount of stimulus is higher in G S/C.

              I also think that the underlying assumption that people need more vs different stimulus can be misguided. I suppose we are partly responsible for this since we were fighting about the role volume played in training results for so long. In any case, I think that changing the type (or formulation) of the training stimulus would be my preferred approach rather than upping the dose at first.
              Thank you for your help! I'll guess I'll run G S/C after BT. It just looks fun! I'll try to stick to some 3 day templates for a while to see if the difference in stimulus is enough in order to just go for 4 days a week as fast as possible.

              Comment

              Working...
              X