Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casual Crossfit “programming”

Hi Doctors,

I’m currently doing Crossfit classes, as this aligns well with my goals and constraints atm.
    Goals: GPP, abs, stress management, basic strength standards.
    I currently like crossfit because of the group settings, offloaded programming (just show up), short classes, and variety. this would be my 4th lockdown related reset in barbell training, and I just don’t feel it atm.

That said, I don’t plan to compete and want to keep fatigue in check while losing weight (something I have struggled with in the past while doing crossfit). And would love to see/feel some progress.

My gameplan:
    • Take strength focused exercises (eg 4 sets 3 RM squats) seriously, keep it at RPE 8-9 but maybe get more sets in if possible.
    • Go hard on the short workouts. If there is a strength-focused exercise involved with low reps, go higher in weight (at the expense of speed).
    • Go easy on the long chippers: low weight, pace myself wrt speed. Avoid hero workouts.
    is this a reasonable approach? can this work given my goals, or is crossfit (as in classes) just unsalvageable as a fitness regime?

Our take on CF programming and approach to managing fatigue are reflected in the Titan and free CF Open templates. As far as your plan goes, I don't think I'd necessarily do any rep max, or RPE 9 work on the barbell lifts without regular exposure to them. In other words, I wouldn't do a 5RM front squat if you hadn't front squatted heavy consistently for the last month or so.

I also don't see unique benefits to going harder on short MetCons or going heavier on the lift-portion of them. It's just not going to make much of a difference. A far better strategy (probably) would be to keep MetCon, chipper, and similar efforts to RPE 7-8, tops. That's hard enough.

For abs, that's 100% kitchen-related
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
      Our take on CF programming and approach to managing fatigue are reflected in the Titan and free CF Open templates. As far as your plan goes, I don't think I'd necessarily do any rep max, or RPE 9 work on the barbell lifts without regular exposure to them. In other words, I wouldn't do a 5RM front squat if you hadn't front squatted heavy consistently for the last month or so.

I also don't see unique benefits to going harder on short MetCons or going heavier on the lift-portion of them. It's just not going to make much of a difference. A far better strategy (probably) would be to keep MetCon, chipper, and similar efforts to RPE 7-8, tops. That's hard enough.

For abs, that's 100% kitchen-related
      Got it, thanks. Will keep everything RPE 7-8 (have been doing this for the past weeks as I was easing into things and enjoyed it).
      Big fan of the Titan (and beginner and hypertrophy) template, but starting over for the fourth time in 2 years is currently too demotivating, so will do some group workouts for now even if suboptimal.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Comment

Working...
      X