Best template to improve work capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best template to improve work capacity

Thanks for all the awesome advice and templates you create.

I'm currently running the LSF 3-day for the second time. However, this time around it is during a period of high cycling training volume (I am a competitive mountain biker by hobby) and my work capacity is not great enough to allow for the cycling training and enough lower-body strength volume to drive strength adaptations currently.

My current approach has been to dial back the volume in the LSF template and to slowly increase it over the course of the program. However, I don't feel like my work capacity has been increasing very quickly.

I'm wondering whether there is another template you'd recommend that would be significantly more effective at improving work capacity? I really like LSF and would prefer to stick with it and my approach unless I'm leaving a lot of gains off the table.

I'm currently running the LSF 3-day for the second time. However, this time around it is during a period of high cycling training volume (I am a competitive mountain biker by hobby) and my work capacity is not great enough to allow for the cycling training and enough lower-body strength volume to drive strength adaptations currently.
    May I ask why you think this is the case?
    Barbell Medicine "With you from bench to bedside"
    ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Currently my legs are just smoked and I am carrying lots of fatigue coming into the weight room. My top squat set of [email protected] has gone down from 370 lb to around 295 in the past 4 weeks.

I previously ran Powerbuilding 3 with no issues, same with my first run of LSF earlier this year. Haven’t felt this level of fatigue until I ratcheted up the cycling volume about 2 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake99 View Post
        Currently my legs are just smoked and I am carrying lots of fatigue coming into the weight room. My top squat set of [email protected] has gone down from 370 lb to around 295 in the past 4 weeks.

I previously ran Powerbuilding 3 with no issues, same with my first run of LSF earlier this year. Haven’t felt this level of fatigue until I ratcheted up the cycling volume about 2 months ago.
        To me that seems like the volume of cycling is too high for your current fitness level. Work capacity is more about being able to do the training scheduled on a given day and running out of energy, whereas this sounds more like a recovery issue. I don't think there's a specific program that is best for improving recovery in the face of a large dose of activity. Rather, the activity dose needs to be adjusted to what you can currently tolerate.

If you were wanting to run Low ISF and your cycling concurrently, I'd probably cut the cycling by half (or just a bit under what it was before) and start there- adding 10% every 3rd week for the next 12 weeks and seeing how you do.
        ///Website /// Instagram /// Peri™ Rx /// Whey Rx /// Barbell Medicine Podcast/// Newsletter /// Seminars ///

Comment

Thanks for explaining the difference between work capacity and recovery, that hasn’t been clear to me previously.

Realistically I’m not going to reduce cycling volume because I’m making great progress and have some races coming up in the fall.

In that context, would you recommend I continue with LSF and just accept reduced strength performance in the meantime, until I adapt to the workload? Or am I foolish to not just switch to a different barbell program?

Comment

Roger that. I think that I'd split the program up as follows:

Day 1 (keep this the same)
            Priority Squat
            Supplemental Bench
            Supplemental Pull

Day 2:
            Priority Bench (from Day 2)
            Priority Deadlift (from Day 3)
            Accessory Squat (from Day 3)

I'd skip everything else except for maybe GPP ab, arm, and upper back work.

Comment

Awesome thanks! This is basically what I have been doing so I will keep trucking along. Good to have confirmation.

Relatedly, love all the endurance sport advice you’ve put out and it’d be great to have more of those types of guests on your show. There is still a shocking amount of misinformation being propagated about strength training on popular endurance platforms.

Comment

Just to re-iterate the suggested program mods above- I would only lift 2x/wk on that setup. Sounds like a good plan though.

Thanks for the kind words as well. I'm looking to get Steve Magness on the show along with Epstein. That would be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
                  Thanks for the kind words as well. I'm looking to get Steve Magness on the show along with Epstein. That would be fun!
                  I would also love to see Stephen Seiler!

Comment

Thanks! Would be great to see a crossover with Empirical Cycling. He had a strength training episode where he brought on some coaches who weren’t quite prepared to back their assertions up. It’d be great to see a convo between EC and BBM.

Comment

Working...
                    X