Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volume vs Intensity at the end of SSLP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Volume vs Intensity at the end of SSLP

    I have noticed a preference for increase volume over increase intensity at the Barbell Medicine. For instance, when we compare the The Bridge program with the tapering suggested in the Practical Programming. Jordan even mentioned the "peak effect" when choosing intensity over volume.

    For the sake of purpose, I give you my data as an example at the end of the SSLP:

    Male, 90kg, 180cm, 31 years old
    SQUATS: 145 kg x 3 x 5
    DEADLIFT: 172,5 kg x 5
    OHP: 66,5 kg x 3 x 5
    BENCH: 110 kg x 3 x 5
    PC: 80 kg x 5 x 3
    Barbell Row: 90 kg x 3 x 8

    **Questions:

    Isn't it better to peak and only then switch to something like Texas Method (5x5 kind of thing) with more volume incorporated? I see the peaking effect as beneficial, is that so? (PS: it sounds at least much more fun!)

    I tend to prefer to incorporate high volume right away for presses (like the one suggested on the Newsletter like Bench x 1 @ +5% from last 5 x 3 sets on LP, then take 15% off the bar for 5 reps x 5 sets) and for lower body do something like (DEALIFT: 2x5 on Monday at 90%-80% of last 5RM and 1x3 RM and for SQUATS: 1x5RM + 2 back-off sets at 95%). Do you think this template would work for maybe some 4 weeks give or take?

    Main Question: Is there an advantage of peaking at the end of SSLP before incorporating high volume into an early intermediate programming? The goal would be for general strength training.

    Thanks a lot!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Dr. Hades View Post
    Isn't it better to peak and only then switch to something like Texas Method (5x5 kind of thing) with more volume incorporated? I see the peaking effect as beneficial, is that so? (PS: it sounds at least much more fun!)
    Talk us through your thinking on this. Why is it beneficial at that stage in someone's training development?

    Originally posted by Dr. Hades View Post
    I tend to prefer to incorporate high volume right away for presses (like the one suggested on the Newsletter like Bench x 1 @ +5% from last 5 x 3 sets on LP, then take 15% off the bar for 5 reps x 5 sets) and for lower body do something like (DEALIFT: 2x5 on Monday at 90%-80% of last 5RM and 1x3 RM and for SQUATS: 1x5RM + 2 back-off sets at 95%). Do you think this template would work for maybe some 4 weeks give or take?
    Maybe? Here's the thing, man: almost anything can "work" for someone for a couple weeks. That's not what we're interested in, though.

    IG / YT

    Comment


    • #3
      I browsed the Forum a bit more and found a link to a tread on SS Forum discussing two posts. And just now I realized what really has been going on and the a lack of consensus about it.

      Originally posted by Austin Baraki View Post

      Talk us through your thinking on this. Why is it beneficial at that stage in someone's training development?

      It is just very appealing, to be quite honest. At least to me. Thanks anyway


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dr. Hades View Post
        It is just very appealing, to be quite honest. At least to me. Thanks anyway
        I certainly agree that it’s “appealing” - which is why so many people have done it.

        That doesn’t mean it’s *beneficial*, however.
        IG / YT

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by voluntarySquatship
          I'm always jumping in other people's threads, I hope you don't mind. Wouldn't one benefit be desensitization to volume provided you don't do it for so long that you reduce your fitness and work capacity? That way you wouldn't need to make so big of a jump in volume initially.
          You've already tried that, with the reset. Additionally, this theoretical benefit of peaking at this stage in someone's training career (i.e., at the end of the novice phase) is, in our opinion, far outweighed by the cost of detraining the work capacity that will be necessary in the next stage of training.

          Originally posted by voluntarySquatship
          That said, I have a question: does rate of losing fitness and work capacity depend on lifter advancement and is that the reason why tapering / intentional deload week is not appropriate for everyone?
          Yep.
          IG / YT

          Comment

          Working...
          X