Losing belly fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing belly fat?

I am really serious about losing belly fat. I am doing daily gym workouts but still not able to remove belly fats. I know there should be a proper diet. But still i want to know which exercises are helpful in removing belly fats. Also i want to know about some diet tips at dinner.

The exercises that will help you lose belly fat is exercising self control. Simply put, you need to expend more calories than you intake. Yes, there is some expenditure form working out but not as significant at most ads claim. In fact, a majority of your caloric expenditure is from normal bodily function.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2691813/
    here is some beginning material to look over to better understand what goes into caloric expenditure.

as for “targeting fat loss” that’s silly BS, you can’t target fat loss. Lose excess body fat through caloric restriction. I would also recommend reading the BBM article “to be a beast.”

Tips for dinner:
    1.) eat enough protein and Lucine to trigger MPS.
    2.) avoid eating before bed (it may keep you awake) anecdotally I do not have this issue as I fall right to sleep after my dinners but I’ve had some people report that they struggle to fall asleep.
    3.) keep your meals simple, you know single ingredient foods.

And remember that the only good diet is the one that you can maintain compliance with. It took you however many years to add on excess weight, you’re not going to get rid of it in a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Bak2ThaBasix View Post
      The exercises that will help you lose belly fat is exercising self control. Simply put, you need to expend more calories than you intake. Yes, there is some expenditure form working out but not as significant at most ads claim. In fact, a majority of your caloric expenditure is from normal bodily function.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2691813/
      here is some beginning material to look over to better understand what goes into caloric expenditure.

as for “targeting fat loss” that’s silly BS, you can’t target fat loss. Lose excess body fat through caloric restriction. I would also recommend reading the BBM article “to be a beast.”

Tips for dinner:
      1.) eat enough protein and Lucine to trigger MPS.
      2.) avoid eating before bed (it may keep you awake) anecdotally I do not have this issue as I fall right to sleep after my dinners but I’ve had some people report that they struggle to fall asleep.
      3.) keep your meals simple, you know single ingredient foods.

And remember that the only good diet is the one that you can maintain compliance with. It took you however many years to add on excess weight, you’re not going to get rid of it in a week or two.
      Very well said. Losing fat really is simple. Eat less than you burn. If you restrict your food and you still are not losing weight, you have to eat even less. That's it. Whatever diet you want to do (i.e. keto, intermittent fasting, or any other trend) only affects compliance and does is not "that one weird trick". Just eat less food.

Sure, it's easier said than done. But how bad do you want it?

Comment

Originally posted by georgewhittington View Post
        I am really serious about losing belly fat. I am doing daily gym workouts but still not able to remove belly fats. I know there should be a proper diet. But still i want to know which exercises are helpful in removing belly fats. Also i want to know about some diet tips at dinner.

George,. I am not a medical professional, so take that into consideration, but I have lost 60 pounds and kept off more than 50 for several years. I studied the research during my weight loss journey to try to make the best choices in terms of my time with regard to exercise.

You're already doing something really important to reduce belly fat--even if you can't see what is happening. You are exercising regularly.

While you can't target a specific region of the body for reduction in size with a specific exercise, there is a bit of nuance with respect to abdominal fat, in that the most dangerous type of abdominal fat is preferentially targeted by exercise and also by modest weight loss.

Abdominal fat is made up of subcutaneous fat (or subcutaneous adipose tissue, sometimes appreviated SAT or SCAT in research studies) which is found just under the skin on top of the abdominal muscles. and visceral fat (or visceral adipose tissue, abbreviated VAT in research studies) which is under the muscles and in and around the organs. It is the visceral fat that is correlated with so many health issues including metabolic syndrome, diabetes 2, and cardiovascular disease. Subcutaneous fat is also found under the skin and on top of the muscles in other areas of your body.

And while there is not a specific exercise that will reduce belly fat, visceral fat appears to be preferentially targeted by exercise (aerobic exercise has the most research) and modest weight loss.

Here is a link to a fairly recent (2013) meta-analysis of various studies. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0056415

In one of the studies included in the meta-analysis, the STRRIDE study, participants, who were sedentary and overweight or obese, were assigned to one of 4 groups: a control group asked not to change anything, and 3 exercise groups, all asked not to change their diet but just to come in for supervised exercise. Some important bottom lines from that study:
        • The control group of sedentary folks had an increase in VAT of 8.6% over the 8 months of the study. So in doing nothing, things don't stay the same, they get worse.
        • On the other hand, even moderate exercise (equivalent to about 30 min of walking a day) was enough to prevent an increase in visceral fat.
        • And vigorous exercise (equivalent to jogging 20 mi/wk) decreased the VAT without any change in diet. (It decreased by 7%)

So with even modest exercise, a person can keep their visceral fat from increasing.

Of course, the best approach is a combination of calorie restriction plus exercise. Preferential loss of VAT happens in the early part of weight loss, which many researchers speculate is the reason why modest weight loss of 5-10% of body weight has such a positive health outcome . Again, to maintain that eight loss, exercise is key, just as it is to preventing the increase in visceral fat. To get to that loss of weight, diet and exercise are the ticket.

Some of the studies, such as the STRRIDE/ AT/RT study (AT = Aerobic training and RT= resistance training) have found that aerobic exercise has the most impact on visceral fat. However, one of the lead researchers in that study, Chris Slenz, thought that might be because the energy expenditures were different. (There was less energy expeniture in their pretty substantial progressing weight training protocol than in the aerobic one. He would like to do a follow up decreasing the aerobc expenditure so that it equals the resistance training expenditure to see if the association of aerobic being superior to resitance training holds.

Googling "visceral adipose tissue" will get you to scientific articles more efficiently than googling even "visceral fat."

So exercise daily and reduce your calorie intake. A loss of even 5% of your body weight might not give you the aesthetic look you want, but will be significant for your health.

Also, abdominal fat is associated with increased cortisol production. Adequate sleep and good stress management might be important to your goal of reducing your belly size.

Hope this is helpful.

What were you hoping for when you asked for tips for dinner? Is dinner a meal where you tend to overeat or are you looking for menu suggestions or??
        Last edited by Naturegirl; 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X